7

Maxine's POV

I walked slowly up the stairs, allowing Cheryl to have some privacy for a few moments before I checked on her. I hesitated using my super hearing but I didn't want to leave her alone for too long after what Penelope said to her, that was such an awful and cruel thing to say.

I focused on my hearing as I reached the top of the stairs and I heard Cheryl crying. I followed the sound and when I reached her bedroom, I knocked gently on the door.

"Go away."

I sighed but knocked again.

"Go away." She repeated this time a little more angrily.

"I'm not going away, I want to make sure that you're okay."

She didn't reply, just continued to cry more. I slowly sat down on the floor, my back against the door, just listening to her cry. I could honestly cry myself, I upset that I couldn't help Cheryl and I was angry at what Penelope turned into.

Before she found out that I was a vampire, we talked about kids. She loved the idea of having little ones running around the house, she seemed like she was going to be a great Mother. I saw the way she was with both babies and children and it was one of the reasons I fell for her.

She was so sweet and caring towards them. She didn't have a mean bone in her body...Or so I thought.

"I'm here for you Cheryl. I just want you to know that you're not alone anymore...I know that Toni was probably all you had along with your Father and Brother...Other than family you have no one but thats not the case anymore, okay? I'm here."

I rested my head against the door and closed my eyes, I was startled when I fell backwards. Opening my eyes, I saw Cheryl standing above me, her hand out. I greatfully took it and she helped me up.

I looked around her room and I was honestly not even surprised at how big it was. I closed the door behind me, still looking around the huge, red room. Of course, it was red. She was all red everything.

She walked towards her bed and sat down. She looked at me and patted the space next to her. I slowly walked towards the bed and sat down, kicking my shoes off before I layed down.

"Make yourself at home, why don't you." She lightly laughed before following suit and laying down herself. "Thank you, Maxeena...For checking on me...It's been a while since someone cared enough to see if I was alright."

"I'll always make sure you're alright." I replied turning so I was laying on my side, facing her. "Just don't call me Maxeena again."

"But I want to call you something nobody else can...And Veronica already took Maxie." Cheryl pouted.

"We'll figure something out." I laughed. "Now stop being so cute."

"You think I'm cute?" Cheryl asked looking away.

"I'm sorry, I didn't mean it in any certain way, I just-"

"It's fine. Just never really been called cute before."

"Not even by Toni?" I asked kind of surprised.

"She'd call me beautiful, sensational once, hot, sexy...But not cute."

Cheryl turned so she was facing me and once again, I found myself wiping a stray tear from her cheek. "You are all those things and more."

"You can't say that, you hardly know me."

"I know enough...And I'd love to get to know you more...Kinda have to know you if I'm gonna be staying here."

A small smile started forming on Cheryl's face but we both jumped slightly as her bedroom door burst open.

We sat up quickly and I frowned at who was standing there. He had a look of shock mixed with anger on his face.

"Hello Daddy." Cheryl said bitterly.

"Hello Cheryl." He said not taking his eyes off of me. "Hello Maxine."

"Clifford."

The man who made my life somewhat hell when he was a teenager. The man who so desperately tried to break Penelope and I up...Was married to her and had kids with her. He had the life that I had wanted with her. He seemed to realise it too as his frown turned into a smirk.

"Your grandmother has asked us to join her for some tea, including you. Maxine." Without another word he left the room.

My blood began to boil and I had to control my anger or else I would start to lose control.

This wasn't good