Chapter 30

While Padme was sound asleep, Alia was struggling to sleep... she wandered aimlessly through the house, listening to the soft snores from the others. Alia ended up wandering to the garage, her mind completely focused on Anakin... deep down she hoped that his mother was fine and that this whole trip was for nothing.... but a part of her knew the truth, she knew that those Tusken raiders killed his mom.

Alia walked outside...she stared at the speeder, it was identical to the one Anakin rode away on.... she wanted to go after him, but something was holding her back.

"Please don't leave us, Miss Alia... these people need your help," a voice replied, startling Alia... she turned and looked to see who it was, she smiled when she noticed to was C-3PO.

"I'm not leaving... I just couldn't sleep," Alia confessed... looking up at the stars.

"That's something I wish I could relate to, as a protocol droid... I'm either active or not, there is no in between," 3PO stated.

"You're lucky.... but are you not happy here?" Alia questioned the droid.

"Oh...I'm not unhappy, and my Masters are so kind.... I wouldn't want to wish trouble upon them, it's just... being like this... it's well embarrassing, I suppose," 3PO explained... Alia saw what he meant, his wires and controls were visible...

"Having all of your wires showing?" Alia asked.

"Yes, I feel naked.... if you pardon the expression, you see Master Ani made me... but never finished.. it's so humiliating. How would you like it if you had to go around and look like this?" 3PO explained..

"Umm I don't think I would like it," Alia replied.

"Well uh maybe we can fix that," Alia pointed out... she noticed a hug box, filled with random parts on the floor... she wasn't very handy, but she sure could figure it out.

"I don't think so... only Master Ani.." 3PO said but was cut off by Alia.

"Why not? It can't be that hard...can it?" Alia questioned the droid.

Alia picked up a couple of pieces of metal and held them against the droid... to see which one would look better.

She was in deep concentration... trying to figure out how to put the cover on, but after many moments she had finally figured it out.

3PO was very patient... but Alia could tell he was very excited about his coverings, Alia continued to measure the droid...wanting to make sure his coverings weren't tight or lose.

"There!" Alia exclaimed happily... she had finally finished.

She only got to do things for herself at the Jedi temple, and that wasn't fixing droids but it made Alia happy... knowing that she was able to help someone or something in need.... it felt good, doing the right thing.

Alia stood back...admiring her work, she turned around and saw Owen... they both looked at 3PO, who was now multicolored... he had several different textures but he was complete and that's all that mattered.

"How do I look?" 3PO questioned them..

"Great!!" Alia and Owen commented..

"Oh thank you Miss Alia!!" 3PO exclaimed... still admiring his covers.

"You're welcome," Alia laughed.

"Well Alia, I think he should be yours now...I know it's what my mother would have wanted," Owen offered.

"Really?" Alia exclaimed.

A voice from outside grabbed Alia's attention...

"Come outside.. everyone he's back!! He's back" Cliegg called out.

Alia ran out of the garage... and was standing under the twin suns, Cliegg hobbled out of the homestead on his speeder chair. They stood looking out into the desert... where Anakin rode up, they all noticed something was tied to the back of the speeder.

"She didn't make it," Alia mumbled... her heart broke for Anakin.

Anakin pulled up next to them... he stepped off the speeder and grabbed Shmi and slowly walked into the homestead... he didn't even look at anyone.. not even Alia.