Chapter 18

Chapter 18

Klaus

“We arrive into this world as innocents, wide-eyed, vulnerable. It is the job of our parents to nurture and protect us. Unfortunately, our own parents failed miserably at even the most basic of parental tasks. But, we are not beholden to the past they created for us” I say to Kol and Finn. Elijah and myself are having breakfast in the dining room with Kol and Finn, who are still bound with their enchanted manacles that prevent them from doing magic.

“Today, a new future awaits. Forget your animosity toward Elijah and myself. Instead, join us against she who truly deserves your ire, our mother” I say and Kol rolls his eyes, and Finn just looks bored. “Do this, and we will welcome you with open arms” I say spreading my arms out. “Well” Kol starts and reaches for a plate of pastries with his shackled hands, but I pull it out of his way, making Kol sigh and roll his eyes again

I smile “But, if you continue to oppose us, a denial of pastries will be the least of your concerns” I say. “And believe me” Star says, walking into the room “h couldn’t be more right”. Kol sighs “if all you wanted was my allegiance against Mother Dearest, you should have said so! Save me a night shackled to the wall” Kol said and slumps in his chair.

“Yes, this was Niklaus and Star. My recommendation was to remove your limbs, one by one, until you comply” Elijah says. I laugh “We have no desire to torture you” O stand behind Kol and Finn and squeeze their shoulders with my hands “provided you vow to stand beside us”. Finn shrugs out of Klaus' grip “brothers, does that word even apply to us? After all these centuries of betrayal? And, has loyalty to you ever rewarded” Finn says. “I’d act a little nicer, after all, it was my idea to not have tortured” Star says and takes a sip of my wine.

“But if you prefer that, then by all means, let’s start” Star says and sets the glass down. “Alright, then tell me Niklaus, where is our sister, Rebekah” Finn asks. Elijah glares at Finn as he continues. “She was blindly loyal to you for a thousand years, and now? Nowhere to be found. Where did our sister go and, how did she escape your vile machinations” Finn asks with a smile. Star and I quickly glace at each other, making her see right through my walls and see that I’m clearly nervous and suspicious, but laugh fakely to cover for it before I face them.

Star

“You think me vile? What, then, do you make of the one who cursed us” Klaus says. Finn looks frustrated “she was trying to make you mortal again”. Elijah grabs a knife off the table, clearly suspicious and annoyed by Finn's words. “And, you both refused he; it only proves how far you've fallen. But, I expect Rebekah will have a different response to her proposal” Finn looks to Klaus “after all, even your little human girlfriend was curious to know what our life is really like. See, unlike the two of you, Rebekah always did cling to her humanity”.

Elijah looks angry “Rebekah is off-limits to you, you pursue her, and you will suffer”. Finn and Kol both look surprised and slightly concerned by Elijah's uncharacteristic outburst, as does Klaus. “Do not let him goad you, Elijah. Neither he, nor Esther, will find Rebekah unless she wants to be found. And she does not” Klaus says “and as for his little human girlfriend” I say walking over to him. I quickly wrap my hand around his throat, choking him a little.

“Just remember one thing” I lean in close to Finn’s ear “you’re not a vampire and I’m still a hunter”. I let Finn go, making him rub his neck a little “Esther is quite determined. She's been searching for Rebekah since the day she returned. I imagine it's only a matter of time” Finn says with a small smile. Elijah completely loses his temper, grabs Finn by the collar, and slams him onto the table before vamping-out and feeding on him. Klaus pulls Elijah away from Finn and shoves him against a nearby wall. Elijah puts his hands up defensively, so Klaus backs off. I fallow and close the doors behind me so Finn and Kol can’t hear us.

Klaus tugs Elijah's handkerchief out of his jacket pocket and hands it to him so he can clean himself up. “I enjoy a good blood-letting as much as anyone, but our brothers have power, as well as knowledge of Esther's plans” Klaus says. “Elijah wipes the blood off his face while he listens “we need them alive” I say to Elijah. “Imagine what they would do to Rebekah, to Hope”. “Rebekah has been cloaked by powerful magic. Focus on the task at hand. We need to persuade our brothers” Klaus says. “I'm through with persuasion” Elijah is about to leave, but I step in front of him “wow, hold on, since when did you two trade spots of being the good and bad brother” I ask, looking at them.

I see Klaus smile a little before Elijah’s phone rings. He pulls it out of his pocket and answers it. “Rebekah” Elijah says almost a whisper. He listens to her for a second before handing the phone to me. I look at him confused before taking the phone from him and holding to up to my ear. “Hey, it's me. I have the baby, and we're on the run. Esther found us. We're safe, for now; I've lost her bloody starlings, but I have no idea where to go” Rebekah says.

“Tell her to head west, I'll call Hayley” Klaus says and Rebekah yells “do not tell Hayley! Esther's too smart for that. The only advantage that we have is that she thinks the baby died” Rebekah says. Elijah, Klaus and I look at each other in shock. “One more thing, Star, I heard you turned my brother good, congrats, text me the plans” Rebekah says and hangs up the phone.

I can’t help but smile a little before hanging up. “Go, I'll take care of Kol and Finn” Elijah says to Klaus and I. Klaus looks annoyed “splendid and, in your hands, I assume they'll be dead by nightfall”. “I will show restraint. Hope needs her father and mother” Elijah says making me flinch a little at the word mother. “What she needs, what we need, are allies to help us defeat our mother. Finn and Kol must be turned to our side. Without their help, there will be nowhere left for Hope to run” Klaus says.

“Niklaus, your child” Elijah starts and Klaus speaks “I have waited months to see my daughter. I can wait one more day”. Elijah looks at me and I nod, agreeing with Klaus. Elijah sighs a little before turning to leave “Elijah” I call and he turns to me “do whatever it takes to keep her safe” “I give you my word” Elijah says before leaving. Klaus and I look at each other before Klaus is about to open the doors when I stop him “allow me” I say and open the doors and joins Kol and Finn with Klaus behind me.

“Gentleman, I apologize for keeping you waiting. Good news is, I've returned with an old friend. Someone who wants to say hello” I say with a smile and Kol and Finn watch as Marcel walks into the room, looking pleased. Marcel smiles widely “hello, how's it going, fellas”. Klaus looks at me a little shocked “you’re not the only one who has a few tricks up your sleeves” I say with a smile. Klaus smiles in amusement. “Ah, you again, you ever get bored of getting bullied by my brother” Kol says.

Marcel chuckles and takes off his jacket “oh, I volunteered for this. The way I see it, you have it coming” Marcel says and shoves Kol roughly in the chest “first, you messed with Davina” he continues pushing Kol backward “now, I hear you wanna drag Rebekah into all this. Uh-uh. Not happening” Marcel said. “Well, I'd prefer you both to join me against our mother. But, I'll happily settle for one or the other. Either way, if you continue to defy me, your lives will be reduced to an unending sequence of agonizing torture” Klaus says with amse smile.

Kol looks torn and turns to Finn, who maintains his poker face “so boys” I say walking foreword a little “which is it to be” I asked putting my hands on my hips.