Fever Pt 48

Megan POV

"You'll have to live with this for the rest of your life."I listened in as Dr.Montgomery explained all the side effects to Nicki. He carefully listed all the mental and behavioral problems that the surgery would cause but Nicki's mind was set. She wanted this surgery so bad so she could be normal again. Of course, I wanted her to go through with the surgery as well but I can't help but think of the odds. What if Nicki's mental state never returns to how it used to be? What if she starts to act crazy around the kids...

"Are you ready?"He asked her, smiling warmly. "Yes."She smiled.

He raised her up in the bed and he and the other doctors began to take her to the operating room. Montgomery had called a doctor in from Pennsylvania to operate on her. This doctor is supposed to be the best in the country when it comes to handling brain surgeries such as this. I have no choice but to put all my faith into this one doctor in hopes that he could bring my sweet Nicki back to me.

I bent down, planting a kiss on Nicki's forehead, then her nose and finally, her lips. "You're gonna be fine."I ran my fingers through her hair.

The doctor sent me a warming smile, assuring me that everything would be fine. I shut the hospital door behind them and locked it, taking a deep breath. I said a quick, meaningful prayer asking the Lord to bring my baby back alive and well.

"Ah!"Karim and Kennedy belted in unison. "Ah!"I responded, putting on a smile for them so they wouldn't think something was wrong.

Kennedy smiled while Karim kicked his feet at me. I dug around in their baby bag and pulled out a box of 3D shapes for our usual ten minute routine of me showing them the shapes and saying the names of the shapes to them.

"Square."I said, holding it in front of their faces. Karim kept that smile on his face letting me know he was following along. "Kennedy, square."I sat it in her lap. I reached into the box to grab another shape until I felt my throat filling up with some sort of substance.

"Uhg."I let out a sound, getting up from the floor and going into the bathroom. I held my weave back as I emptied the contents from my stomach into the toilet. "Shit,"I muttered, standing up.

I rinsed my mouth out and washed my hands, leaving the bathroom and going over to my purse to put some gum in my mouth. "Circle,"I told the twins as I picked up my phone from the chair, unlocking it.

"Siri, call Doctor Catalino."I instructed.

"Calling Doctor Catalino."The animated voice said back to me. I heard the phone ringing lowly. "Siri, put the call on speaker."I ordered.

"Women's Hospital, how may I help you?"The receptionist said.

"What the hell!"I muttered to myself. The call was supposed to go straight to my doctors' cell phone.

"Who is this?"

"The receptionist. I always answer the phone."

"Oh. Where is Delilah Catalino?"I asked her.

"Her phone number changed and her old number became the one to the hospital. Would you like her number?"

"Are you a regular client or is this your first time contacting the women's hospital?"

"I'm a regular. It's Megan."

"Ah yes. I don't know why she didn't give you her new number. You have something to write it down on?"

"Um, as a matter of fact, I don't need it. I just need to set up an appointment with her."

"Okay. Let's see... Catalino is available right now."

"I can't come right now."I told the lady at the desk.

"Oh. Well, when is convenient for you, Ms.Pete?"

"Uh, I'm sorry. Can I get Delilah's number?"

"Yes. Tell me when you're ready..."

I got the number then hung up the phone, feeling uneasy. I don't know why I was feeling so tense and apprehensive. I breathed in and out then turned around to face the kids.

I really hoped that I wasn't pregnant again, I'm already on my toes with the two babies I have now. I can't take on another one. Well, not just yet at least.

I pulled Kennedy and Karim closer to me and held them in my arms as I felt my eyes burning. I had no idea why I was crying but I just felt the need to do it, let off some of that worry that I had in my heart. One of my tears landed on Karim's face, right under his eye as if he was the one crying. I wiped it away and pushed a smile through since they were looking at me like I was crazy.

"Times getting hard."I whispered. "You two wouldn't understand."I caressed their hair. "I wish you could stay this size forever. So small and pretty, and innocent."I smiled.

"Circle."I picked the shape up and showed it to them.