Fever Pt 54

Megan POV

I kept quiet as we walked down the long hallway into the intensive care unit for the newborns where there were lots of other babies fighting for their lives.

"Here she is."Dr.Thompson said once we got all the way to the back of the room.

"Oh my god."I gasped as Nicki pulled me closer. "Why is she so stiff?"Nicki asked him. "She's having an epileptic absence seizure right now. This is abnormal excessive activity in the electrical charges of the brain."

We watched on in horror as Missa un-stiffened, twitched and jerked, stiffened again and repeated the same movements. She was staring into space but blinking rapidly as noises came from her mouth that indicated that she was highly uncomfortable.

"Can she hear me?"I asked.

"Yes. She's perfectly conscious and the seizures usually last from one to two minutes, however, newborns can have up to thirty seizures a day. The longer a seizure lasts, the more damage it does to the brain and because she's a newborn, it could kill developing brain cells which is why we have to keep her here for a little while. Most babies grow out of the seizures once they hit a year and a half old if they're lucky and treated properly. We don't know if that will be the case for Missa but the doctors are doing everything they can to stop it as soon as possible."

"I want to hold her."I cried.

Missa's eyes slowly rolled over to the side, looking at Nicki and I. "Hey baby."Nicki said with her hand on the cubicle.

Missa just stared, looking so weak. I couldn't bare the sight, I wanted to be sucked into a black hole and cry my eyes out alone. None of us did anything to deserve this, especially not Missa. I pray to God that she'll be able to recover soon so we can walk away from this whole situation and start anew.

"Hello?"Nicki asked.

"..."

"We're in the intensive care unit. Just go to the room and we'll be there shortly."

Nicki hung up the phone and shoved it back into her pocket. "That was Sherika. Karim and Kennedy were acting a fool so she bought them down here to see us."

"Can Missa's' brother and sister come to see her?"I asked Dr.Thompson.

"Yes, of course."He replied with a smile.

"I'll go get them."Nicki told me. I nodded. She left the unit and went to meet Sherika. "I would like some alone time with my child."I told the doctor.

He shook his head and walked away, giving me what I asked for.

"Missa,"I started. "I want to hold you and kiss you so bad. I know this is hurting me and everyone else, but it's hurting you the most. Please, Missa,"I wiped away a tear from my face, "please, pull through for me. Please make it through for Mommy."I begged. "I'm sorry this had to happen to you. Mommy is so so sorry. I love you so much. I love you with all my heart Missa."

Her face scrunched up turned red as she started to cry. "What did I do? What's wrong baby?"I asked.

"She's hungry, that's all."A nurse said, walking up.

"Can I feed her?"I asked.

"She feeds through a tube. Wash your hands and I'll show you how to activate it."The nurse smiled. I got up and went over to the sink, cleaning my hands and arms then going back over to them. The nurse instructed me on how to insert the feeding tube and helped me to put food in the tube so Missa could eat.

Missa quieted down as she ate through the tube, closing her eyes to go to sleep.

"Can she be moved to my hospital room?"I asked.

"I'll have to consult with the doctor on how she's coming along. All the equipment is in here so we'd have to move everything to your room which could take a while. I'll go ask while you watch her."

"Okay. Thank you."

Missa was asleep moments later. "Once she starts breathing on her own, she can be moved to be with you and the rest of your family."

"Thank you."I smiled.

"Mama."I heard, making me snap my head in the direction of the door to see Karim trying to get to me. I went over to him and picked him up, kissing his cheek and taking him over to Missa's cubicle.

"Sister."I pointed to glass, turning him around to see her.

"Ahh."Kennedy tapped the cubicle. "No baby. Don't disturb her."Nicki told her.

"Aww, such a cute little family."The doctor smiled, looking over the five of us.

"Pih!"Kennedy held Nicki's phone up. "Pih!"She repeated.

"I think she wants a picture."Nicki chuckled. "Could you?"She handed her phone to the doctor. "I'm delighted to."He snapped a picture of all of us with Missa in the cubicle. "Pih."Karim said.

"He wants another one."

I forced a smile on my face for the next one even though I was sad inside. "Everything will be fine."Nicki whispered to me once she got her phone back from the doctor. I sure hope so...