What are you two doing here?

"NOOOOOO!" she said.

"I KNOW!!!" I yelled throwing my hands in the air. "If Kalie rants to her and she finds out who I am she'll find out about Lauren and she'll take her to jail."

"Aren't we glad now that she wasn't home when we were there or she'd know who you were." Mae's right we are lucky Hunter wasn't home when we snuck in. Hunter walked back through the door.

"Bad news, so far no one has made a missing child report. I'm guessing whoever left her behind meant to do it," she said looking at the baby. "You two are free to go we have your statements."

"What about her?" Mae asked. Hunter looked at her.

"She's an abandoned baby, we take her into police custody and place her with the hospital program. Hopefully something on her comes up or we're forced to place her in an adoption agency." Mae looked unhappy with the news but she knew we couldn't do anything. We were barely eighteen years old. I pulled my phone out and texted Kara it was time for her to pick us up. Mae and I made our way to the waiting area and Hunter handed us both a cup of coffee.

"Thank you," I smiled as I grabbed the small black cup.

"Don't be it's probably the weirdest tasting coffee ever. At moments I think someone spiked it for fun." I laughed at her joke and sat next to Mae.

"Grayson, we're going out for an evening snack want to join?" another woman asked. Hunter shook her head.

"I'm ok, my sister is coming by to bring me some snacks." The woman nodded at her.

"Suit yourself, and tell your sister I said hi. I haven't seen her around."

"Well you know her, always at the school," Hunter replied with a smile.

"Officer Grayson, could you maybe keep us updated on her case?," Mae asked referring to the baby. Hunter nodded with a smile.I felt my phone vibrate in my pocket. It was a text from Kara telling me she was outside. I got up and extended my hand to Hunter.

"Our ride is here, thank you for your help." I felt a gush of wind hit my side and Hunter shook my hand. Then I felt Mae rapidly poking my side with urge. I turned to her.

"What Mae?" I looked at her eyes and followed her stare. Kalie was headed straight for us with a confused look. When she got to us she side hugged Hunter who was a good few inches taller than her. There was obvious differences between them, skin,and hair color. You could tell Hunter spent more time outdoor but they still resembled each other a lot.

"What are you two doing here?" she asked looking at Mae and I.

"They just brought in an abandoned baby, I didn't know you knew them."

"Yeah I'm their math teachers TA actually," Hunter's eyes widened and her brows raised.

"Oh, great well nice to meet you as my sister's students." We nodded. Kalie, however kept eyeing us. She gave her sister her snacks and we took that as an opportunity to escape. We could see Kara in my car but before I could reach for the handel I heard my name being called. Damn it, so close, I was so close.

"Go on Mae, I'll come back." She nodded and got int he car with Kara. I turned around to Kalie and smiled.

"Hey what's up?" She stopped in front of me and crossed her arms.She and her sister did look alike. Creepy.

"What's up? Really? You show up at my house randomly, make a crappy excuse to leave, leave an abandoned baby at my sisters desk, and you have the audacity to ask what's up?" I squint my eyes.

"Yes?" She shook her head.

"Unbelievable," was all she said before walking to her car while flipping her hair out of her face. Then she came to a stop. "Next time, call before you break into my house. You're lucky Hunter wasn't there." Her words faded as she got into her car and shut the door. I watched her drive away before sighing and getting into my car with Kara and Mae.

"Well that was something wasn't it." I sighed and the rest of the ride was quiet. Arriving at Lauren's house we could see that Chris had gone home.

"Do you want to stay at Lauren's or go home ?" Kara asked.

"I'll stay here you guys go on home." With that I got out of the car and knocked on Lauren's door. I looked around at the flowers by the window like the first time I ever knocked on her door. I started thinking of my mother and how she sent me over with a basket of good for our new neighbor. There was a truth I was keeping to myself recently and it was threatening to burst out. Lauren opened the door and I met her eyes slowly.

"Are you ok Sandra? What happened out there? You had me scared?" I ignored all her questions and just wrapped my arms around her. She didn't question me anymore and hugged me back. Closing the door behind me, Lauren picks me up and carries me upstairs. It couldn't have been easy I know her body is probably still iffy from being shot. She lays us both on the bed and I bring my head to her chest, that's when I couldn't hold it anymore. I let my tears go as she rubbed small circles on my back. I felt her grip on me get tighter as I drifted off to sleep.

The next morning I woke up without Lauren in the bed. I sat up and looked around for her,that's when she came in with two mugs of coffee and a bag of donuts in her mouth. She set the mugs down and placed the bag on the night stand.

Hey guys hope you enjoyed the chapter. Tell me what you think of it :) Please vote comment and share. I Hope you guys are doing good in the quarantine, and I hope your family is healthy.