.22

The first thing I noticed when I woke up was the absence of Lily. Second was the fact that I was late to breakfast. I quickly got up and pulled my things together while getting dressed and rushed out the door. I hurriedly made my way into the great hall and, due to it being the end of breakfast, noticed not many people were still there. However, two distinct people we sat at the end of the Gryffindor table, chatting amicably. I slowly walked over the side of the table opposite them and offered a small smile. Lily looked up at me excitedly. "Oh hi Belle! Sorry I didn't wake you up this morning, Remus asked me to meet him early for breakfast and I figured you didn't want to be woken up that early."

"It's okay. As long as I can eat something before the food disappears it's fine." I replied sitting down and quickly digging into the food. I looked up to meet Remus' gaze and he offered me a small smile. I returned it sheepishly. I just hoped everything would be okay between us.

Lily looked between us with a small smile. Before returning to her food. We ate in silence for a bit before the end of breakfast neared and we were off to our first class, which to my delight was potions. Up until this year I tolerated it, but now I wanted to take in a much information from it as possible to help with Remus and I's project. We began to walk to potions, walking in a weirdly uncomfortable silence. When we finally got there, I turned to ask Remus something when I noticed he had already made a beeline for a desk a few rows down where Peter sat. I gave him a confused look but he only shrugged and started talking with Peter. I sat down and rested my chin in the palm of my hand. Maybe I wasn't looking forward to potions as much today.

~~~

I had a hard time concentrating the whole day, as Remus clearly seemed to be avoiding me. Usually, I sat next to or near him in many of my classes but it seemed he was always a spot over or fartherfrom where he usually would sit. By the last period of the day-transfiguration- I was sulking in my seat watching the back of Remus' head two rows in front of me. Currently we were attempting to transfigure our desks into cats, but I wasn't making any progress. One could say I was a little distracted. I lazily flicked my wand around muttering the incantation when a shadow looked over me. I looked up to see the stern face of Mcgonnagal looking at me with a hint of disappointment.

"Miss Belle, I certainly hope you aren't slacking off in my class." She stated, eyeing my lazy hand movement.

"Um..no of course not." I said avoiding eye contact with her.

"I don't know what has gotten into you today but try to pay attention from now on." She said with an eyebrow raised in question while I just gave her a small nod. I sighed as she turned away and rested my chin in my hand with my elbow propped on the desk that should have been a cat by now. For some reason I just couldn't focus on the task at hand. I couldn't shake the feeling that Remus was upset with me even though he assured me he wasn't the night before. Although he had the right to be I still wished he would at least acknowledge my presence.

A few minutes passed as I continued to try and transfigure my desk with no luck before Mcgonnagal signaled it was the end of class. I picked up my stuff with another sigh and looked up to see Remus looking at me. I offered him a small smile while he only offered me a frown in return. I shook my head before rushing to get out of there as quick as possible. I needed to go somewhere to clear my head.

~~~

Within the hour found myself aimlessly wandering the halls with no goal in sight. I knew I should be getting started on my homework, but that was the last thing on my mind. I found myself passing a familiar painting with a pear on it and decided I could get myself a nice treat to distract me.
The door opened to reveal the kitchen, which was in an unusual state of absolute chaos. It wasn't quite dinner, but the house elves were bustling around preparing food. One of them noticed me and walked over, asking if I wanted anything. I politely asked for just a hot chocolate and sat down around one of the few tables in the kitchen. I didn't want to bother them with too much seeing as dinner was soon but figured they wouldn't be too upset about one drink. Just as the house elf brought it over to my table the door burst open, revealing 4 boys gasping for breath. The house elf bowed before walking away.

"Thank you!" I called after them before turning to the four boys.

"Fancy seeing you here Anna!" Sirius said excitedly taking a seat next to me. The others followed, Remus sitting on the end on the opposite side from me.

"What bring you all to the kitchens?" I asked eyeing them as they glanced suspiciously between themselves.

"Well you know....we just decided to get some food." James responded giving seriously a look, almost like he was communicating via his eyes.

"You realize dinner is in under an hour?" I said giving them a look.

"Oh wow I guess you're right. Cmon Prongs don't we have somewhere to be? Worm tail?" Sirius said before ushering them out the door before anyone realized what was happening.

Unfortunately, that left Remus and I alone in a sudden uncomfortable silence.

"I guess they wanted us to talk.." I started out glancing up at him across the table.

He sat there for a while before lifting his head to look at me. "Yeah I guess so." He replied with a shrug, still looking at me.

"Remus I'm sorry." I said solemnly, taking a sip out of my mug.

"So am I. Sorry I kinda of avoided you for a bit. I just...I don't know." He said scooting down the bench so he was sitting directly in front of me.

"I get it." I replied with a shrug.

"Let's just got back to normal. We can just forget this whole thing." He said earnestly, taking a small sip of his hot chocolate with a small smile.

"Yeah I'd like that." I said returning his smile. "I'd like that a lot."