.40🌕

It was yet another dreadful day. The wind picked up and brought cold rain with it, leaving the grounds muddy and the sky a dull grey.

I was sat in a random corridor on the third floor, my head leaned against the window of the alcove as I watched the rain streak down. I closed my eyes as the cold of the glass sent a shiver through my body, the affects of the full moon already causing a fever to takeover.

This is how Sirius found me just before dinner, making me realize I'd sat there most of the day, skipping my classes and ignoring all the rest of my responsibilities as I suffered in silence.

"Hey Belle.." Sirius ground out slowly as I felt him sit down beside me, placing a hand on my forehead. "You're burning up bad." He said removing his cold hand as I sighed at the loss of temporary relief from the pain.

"No shit." I replied, opening my eyes and removing my head from the window to give him a saddened look.

"Well, why don't we just get you to the shack early, and you can rest in the bed. I'll even have James bring you some dinner." He said, grabbing my bag which I had abandoned on the floor next to the windowsill.

I groaned, moving my body for the first time in hours as I swung my legs over the edge. I swayed once I stood up, grabbing Sirius for balance.

"Careful there." He said placing a stabilizing hand over my shoulders. We made our way slowly onto the grounds, Sirius thankfully casting a water-repellant spell so our clothes didn't get soaked.

As we walked, the conversation carried on, though Sirius did most of the talking.

"Are you ready for tonight Belle?" He questioned, his arm around me tightening slightly.

I have a sigh, not really sure how to answer. On one hand, I was excited to see if we had finally done it, and on the other hand I didn't want to get overzealous about results.

"I just don't want to get ahead of myself." I answered, settling on the pessimistic answer.

He nodded his head thoughtfully as we finally entered the tunnel, the sound of rain echoing drifting slowly behind us as we continued down towards the shack. "Well, for what it's worth I'm proud of you. No matter the outcome."

I turned my head to give him a small smile, ignoring the pain it rn ur red from the effort of movement.

"Thanks Sirius. That means a lot." I said softly, not really knowing what else to say. We continued on in a slightly-less somber silence than before.

It felt like hours before we emerged from the tunnel into a dusty room that I frequented once a month.

I pulled away from Sirius, falling onto the bed unceremoniously as I pulled to covers over my head.

He let out a small laugh, giving my back a small pat. "Alright just rest for a bit. I'll be back with some food soon okay?"

I mumbled in response, bringing the dusty pillow under my head.

"Don't miss me too much while I'm gone!" He shouted, his voice echoing slightly as he entered the tunnel.

I didn't deign him with a response as I felt my mind begin to drift.

I fell asleep quickly, and was only woken up when the light barely shone through the windows.

I arose, straining my ears to hear the conversation from the other room over the sound of the rain still pounding on the rooftop.

When I couldn't make anything out, I strained to get out of bed, swinging my legs around with a huff and standing up. My fever had definitely gone down, but my body was already feeling the strain of the moon, my bones creaking with every step.

I winced as I opened the door, my eyes adjusting to the harsh light as I took in the boys who were arranged lazily around the room on various chairs and sofas.

"Good morning sunshine." James said merrily, scooting over and patting the seat next to him.

I rubbed my eyes, plopping down next to him as I leaned into the old, albeit soft cushions.

"Morning." I mumbled in response even thought it was actually past sunset, leaning my head against the back and closing my eyes.

"How are you feeling?" I heard Remus ask from somewhere off to my right.

I opened my eyes, yawning before I replied." A little better. Though I'm sure that won't last for too much longer." I said with a sigh. "What time is it anyways."

"Late enough." James said, echoing my yawn from earlier.

"Well hopefully tonight is relatively easy for everyone." I said, as I could feel the tension climbing at my one statement.

"Yeah. Let's hope." Remus replied, wearily meeting my gaze.

"We should probably take it soon." I replied, peering between the cracks on the boarded up windows at the setting sun, which was close to disappearing behind the horizon.

Remus nodded his head absentmindedly, rummaging through his coat pockets for a few seconds before producing two small vials. As the sunlight seeping in was replaced with moonlight, they seemed to emit a blue glow.

"Woah." Sirius said, taking one from Remus' outstretched hand. "It definitely did not look like that before."

"Maybe thats a good thing?" James added rather unhelpfully.

"Yeah." Remus said, finally tearing his gaze from the vial in his grip. He closed his fist over it, hiding it from view as he snapped his gaze up to mine.

"Together?" He questioned, his eyes barring into mine.

I nodded, taking my vial from Sirius who held it out to me.

I popped the cork, the sound echoing off the walls as Remus did the same. I stared at the metallic liquid whose blue-glow only seemed to increase with every passing moment, a sweet smell emanating throughout the room.

I didn't hesitate any longer and dipped the vial back into my mouth, swallowing it in a few gulps. I winced at the odd metallic taste, which was nothing like the sweet smell.

I glanced at Remus to see that his expression held the same one of disgust as mine.

"Galleons?" I questioned, nodding to the vial as I placed it on the coffee table.

"Definitely tastes like Galleons." He confirmed as he wiped his mouth as if to rid himself of the metallic flavor we associated with the famous gold coins.

The room was silent as we all waited for something, anything bad to happen. Thankfully, I didn't pass out this time, though as I peered around the room, I noticed it was getting harder and harder to keep my eyes ope. I barely noticed James and Sirius getting to their feet, or Remus taking James' place on the couch.

"Wait how do you know what galleons taste like?" James voice echoed somewhat, sounding like it was miles away. I smiled from where I sat but didn't respond.

"You good?" Remus' voice echoed in my ears almost as if through water.

"I think so." I nodded, turning to meet his gaze. I felt like I was seeing through a haze, but I let out a sigh when I realized I no longer felt the ache of my bones, or the pounding of my head I usually had by this point.

"The pain is gone." Remus said quietly, staring absentmindedly up at the ceiling.

I mumbled a response, closing my eyes as I relished the feeling. He said something else, but it didn't register in my mind. I felt the familiar shift of my bones as one popped out of place, but I felt a tear fall when I realized it didn't hurt at all. I probably looked crazy, my bones pooping out of place while sporting a grin, tears beginning to stream down my face. But I didn't care.

Because I felt my subconscious shift to that hidden, deemed-monstrous part of me, and for the first time, I let go with a smile on my face.