.29

Only few days went by and the teachers had already loaded us with work. Lily and I were currently complaining about the workload as we hurried to finish yet another lotions essay.

"Ugh" Lily groaned as she tossed her quill down before resting her head on the table. "I know it's owls year but we've only been back from break for three days!" She mumbled frustrated into the table.

I chuckled at her frustration, setting my quill down as well. My eyes gazed around the library, noticing groups of students huddled together in the same predicament as we were.

However, my gaze stopped on a commotion at the entrance to the library; four rowdy boys entered carrying various amount of books, quills and parchment. I waved over at them, noticing how Remus' eyes found mine as he returned my wave.

Unfortunately, they hurried over just as Lily continued her ranting on the workload. "Honestly, I love potions but I'm seriously thinking of ditching this assignment" She said finally raising her head from the table only to be met with the grinning face of James Potter.

"Never though I'd see the day when my dearest Lily was avoiding academics." James said with a grin, dropping his books loudly next to Lily's and taking a seat. The others followed suit, Remus quickly grabbing a seat adjacent to me. I offered him a smile as he set his quills down before returning my gaze to Lily.

An annoyed look replaced the frustrated one from earlier as she pushed her materials as far away from James as possible and angled herself away from him. Surprisingly, James said nothing at her behavior and happily opened his textbook, loudly rustling his parchment as he brought it out to presumably start his homework. Lily watched him out of the corner of her eye with a raised brow but said nothing. We all were relatively quiet as we all continued to work, with only the occasional question emitted from either James or Sirius.

It was in this moment I decided to glance around the table and realize just how it felt to be there in this moment. Although we had our differences, I felt like I'd grown up to appreciate each and every person around this table as someone akin to family. I found myself looking towards Remus last with a small smile on my face. I observed how he squinted his eyes as he mulled over the words in the textbook he was hunched over. I felt myself unable to look away as he moved a piece of hair from his eyes, never once looking away from the book.

In my daydream, I hadn't realized how long I must've been looking at his until I felt someone lightly elbow me. I looked up in annoyance to see Lily looking at me with a smirk, her anger from earlier seemingly forgotten. She raised her eyebrows at me before shifting her gaze to Remus and finally back at me, a genuine smile reaching her face as she looked between us.

I rolled my eyes at her, finally returning my focus to my textbook, but I was unable to actually read the words. It's like my mind was just begging me to look up at him once more and catch a glimpse of his thoughtful expression. I lifted my gaze slowly only to be met with him already looking at me, with an unreadable look on his face. It took him a moment to realize I was looking at him as well, but when he did the expression was wiped off his face and replaced with one of slight embarrassment, a small blush finding its way onto his features. I gave him a smile before thinking of something.

"Do you want to get out of here" I mouthed at him across the table. He looked at me blankly  with a questioning look. I laughed under my breath before quietly ripping a piece of parchment off and writing it down instead. With a discreet flick of my wand, I sent it under the table, it landing gently in his lap. I watched him as he gently picked it up, reading the words quickly and looking up with a smile. He nodded, seemingly happy to escape the library even though he hadn't been here for too long. He quickly scrawled something on it and sent it back my way as he slowly began closing his book, eagerly preparing to leave.

I discreetly looked down and saw he'd written, "pretend we're going to work on our Ancient Runes project" I gave a small nod before stuffing it in the pocket of my robes and lightly cleared my throat before speaking. Everyone's eyes shot up at my action, looking at me questionably.

"Remus and I forgot we had to work on our Ancient Runes project today" I said, beginning to stuff my books back into my bag.

"Oh shoot!" Lily said, gathering her stuff as well. "That made me remember I promised Marlene we'd work on ours today as well." She said getting up.

Sirius and James said nothing, just peered across the table at us suspiciously as Peter innocently spoke up in confusion, "I though you guys finished that yesterday?" He said giving us a questioning look.

I looked over to Remus nervously, I'd forgotten Peter was in the common room when we went over it yesterday.

"Not quite.. we still have some things to do, and it's far to busy in here for us to work here so we best get going" Remus rambled out, softly grabbing my wrist and beginning to walk away. I gestured at Lily to follow before turning back to the table.

"See you all at dinner!" I shouted over my shoulder, waving goodbye, resulting in a glare from the librarian.

"Yeah yeah don't have too much fun" I heard Sirius call back, undoubtably with a smirk on his face.

Without another word we exited the library and were greeted with the cold corridors. Lily began walking to the right towards the  common room, shouting a hurried good bye over her shoulder as she practically sprinted away, mumbling something about being late. And so we began walking.