.25🌕

Thus far, the time I had spent at the Potter's had been one of the better parts of my break. Up until today, we had spent our time messing around, playing games, and exploring the town and woods around James' house. On our explorations a few days ago we had discovered a cave like structure nested in a mound of huge rocks about a mile into the woods. We had unanimously decided this would be our new place to hang out, and unfortunately, the place Remus and I would transform later tonight.

Currently, we were all gathered in a circle on the ground, the lights emanating from our wands the only thing allowing us to see our surroundings. I couldn't stop myself from glancing up at the sky every few seconds, as I felt like the moon was going to appear out of nowhere and disturb me from my peace of mind.

"Oi Anna pay attention, it's your turn. Jeez you're actually almost as bad as Peter when it comes to paying attention." James said, gesturing to Peter who looked like his mind was a million miles away. James' comment brought Peter out of his own daydreaming, causing a small blush to appear on his cheeks.

"I'm just worrying about tonight, sorry." I said picking up my hand of cards, turning towards Sirius. "Do you have any eights?" I asked him.

"Godamn how do you always know" He said picking out a card from his pile, handing it over reluctantly. "And don't worry about tonight, we are all here for you and Remus. We won't let anything bad happen."

"Thanks Sirius." I replied, setting down my pair of eights. "For the help and the card." I said giving him a smirk before continuing, "you wouldn't also happen to have a two would you?"

He threw his hands up in exclamation. "How! I swear you're cheating somehow." He huffed pointing a finger at me accusingly before throwing his card to me across the circle.

I placed that pair down as well, giving him a sweet smile. "Not cheating. You're just bad at this. Besides, it's all based on luck." I said giving him a shrug before continuing. "Anyways, I win again." I said with smug smile, noticing Sirius' sour expression as he crossed his arms and huffed in frustration.

Everyone else proclaimed their annoyance at the matter before tossing their remaining cards in a pile.

"Every time." James said with a shake of his head. "Every bloody time."

"I knew they were going to run into trouble when they asked you to play. They're terrible at card games anyways." Remus said shaking his head, attempting to gather the cards that were strewn across the ground and put them back into the case.

"Yeah what did they expect" I said standing up, "purebloods just arent good at muggle games everybody knows that." I said trying to get a rise our of them.

Sirius just scoffed in response before getting up as well. He looked thoughtfully out the whole in the rocks before turning back to us with a grim expression. "Looks like it's just about time guys, we better clean everything up and move it somewhere else." 

The mood in the cave quickly diminished, a breeze of cold air sweeping its way through, making goosebumps appear on my skin as I grasped my arms with a shiver. Remus and I shared a moment of painful eye contact before everyone began slowly moving about, trying to clean up our various belongings and extra clothes before all hell broke out.

Thankfully, today hadn't been a bad day in terms of feeling awful for either of us, but that was no indication of what would happen later on, especially with the added stress of a new environment. Despite the rather depressing events tonight, the boys had made Remus and I relatively happy throughout the day. It was a lot easier to forget about the transformation if you had people around you to care. 

Despite their efforts earlier, I couldn't help myself from worrying as the time drew closer. I placed my head on my knees and closed my eyes, trying to just forget about all my worries before I went insane. I felt someone gingerly sit next to me and grab my hand it theirs

"It's going to be alright. We've done this a hundred times before" Remus said soothingly, rubbing circles on the back of my hand.

I raised my head and opened my eyes and was met with a much closer proximity that I had expected. In my startled state I accidentally felt my eyes drawn to his lips, which glowed under the light of my wand a meter away. We were stuck unmoving in this position for what felt like forever when I started to feel a tingle of pain at the bottom of my spine.

I hissed in pain and quickly moved away from Remus, releasing our hands. He looked like he was experiencing similar symptoms as he winced suddenly. After a minute or so of this dull pain, it started spreading throughout my entire body.

In a last ditch effort to maintain any sense other than pain, I rolled back over to where Remus was lying on his side, clutching his head in pain. I reached for his hand and grasped it firmly, probably cutting off the circulation. He opened his eyes, already filled with fear and squeezed my hand back. A second later, pain rolled through my body in waves and the familiar feeling of something controlling me filled me. But up until my mind went black, I didn't forget the feeling of his hand in mine