.37

A few seconds went by, as the voices of James and Sirius faded farther away, until we could no longer make out any sound.

I was left with silence as Remus came to his senses, hoisting himself off of me onto his hands before he looked at me, panic spread across his face.

All I could do was glare as he practically sputtered, pulling himself up all the way until he was on his knees. I propped myself up on my elbows behind my back, waiting for him to speak first.

"Are you okay? That um..fall was pretty hard." He got out, looking anywhere but me as he took a seat on the dusty ground.

"I'm fine." I ground out, gritting my teeth. I actually landed pretty hard on my tailbone, but the pain was only fueling my anger at this point.

He didn't reply, only wringing his hands in front of him as he looked anywhere but me.

My eyes began adjusting to the complete darkness as I finally sat up, sitting in front of him.

I picked my nails absentmindedly, ignoring him as much as I could. But he was so close in this space that it was almost impossible to write off his presence. I took a deep breath, sighing as I felt myself calm down a little when I got a wiff of peppermint and chocolate in the air.

I risked a glance at him to find he was already looking at me, a longing, but panicked look in his eyes.

"What?" I questioned, it coming out a little harsher than I meant it to.

"I.." he started me cut off with a sigh placing his head in his hands for a moment before continuing. "I don't really know what to say..." He continued, trailing off as he hesitantly met my eyes once againe.

"Maybe start with an explanation?" I said with a scoff, looking him dead in the eyes. He said nothing, just looked at me with that slightly panicked look.

"What is..." I started with a sigh, shaking my head, "what is going on? I'm confused to say the least."

He gulped before replying, wringing his hands for a second before coming to a still, "What...do you want to be going on?" He questioned painfully.

"Nuh uh." I said with a shake of my head, getting to my feet. Remus followed my actions quickly.

With us standing, it felt like the size of the room decreased by half. I could almost imagine the warmth of his body as I stood next to him as I continued, pointing my finger at him, almost hitting his chest.

"No! You-You kissed me!"  I ground out, pushing past my embarrasment as I looked him in the eye. I took a breath before continuing, lowering my hand,"So you tell me what is 'going on'", I said, emphasizing the end sarcastically.

"I don't know.." He said trailing off, trying to to meet my gaze. He looked uncomfortable in what I could see in the low light. Good.

I scoffed, letting out a small sigh. "Wonderful." I said, my words clipped.

"I don't know what you want me to do? or say?" He said strickenly, a pained tone to his voice.

I spun towards him, my voice increasing in volume with each sentence, "I want to to tell me why you kissed me!" I exclaimed, stepping closer to him.

"I want you to tell me why you ran away!" I continued, meeting his gaze with a confused look on my face.

"I want you to tell me why you are avoiding me and causing all of this...confusion in me."

I pause for a moment, one last stricken look leaving my face. "I want you to tell me what it is you want from me." I slumped, dropping my shoulders as I wrapped my arms around myself uncomfortably.