Firey

On my way to the grocery store, after Leafy brought Eggy back home. I decided to get cheap discounted fish and fresh vegetables from the farmers market when I come across someone.

Tree Amaranth. Leafy's cousin.

I try to slide my way into the grocery without being seen, but when I got into the radish aisle, he caught me red handed. "I see you, Ashden."

I grunt, approaching him. Apparently I'm not surprised to see him here. Of course he's here to buy food. "What you doing in the farmer's market?"

Tree states at me. "I'm vegan."

I apologize, brushing it off. "Sorry. Haven't gone into an Amaranth Thanksgiving in forever."

"Don't come back. Grandma's cooking just got from steaming to all being boiled to sad lumps."

"Sounds disgusting."

"It's tasteless."

"I can't imagine. How you doing, Tree? Out with.. someone?"

"Oh, boyfriend's in the back."

Boyfriend? Since when did Tree— a wise guy back in my high school— smartass, and know it all, get a boyfriend and is not married yet?

Pen popped out from behind me. Pen Inks, the guy I was supposed to work with in the photography industry. That Pen.

"Hey Firey." His hands clasp on my shoulder, almost possibly breaking it.

       "Please don't kill me."

   "I would rather skin you alive and—"

   "Don't threaten him in the radish aisle, Pen."

  Tree stops him. Thank god. Tree is such a blessing.

    "Threaten him in the cantaloupe aisle."

     "Please let me go."

      Okay, Pen and Tree did let me go. But on a condition. I would have a little chat. With them. I reach for those vegan cookies, and ask them a question. "How did Yoga II and Cookie boy end up together?"

      Pen puts down his drink. "Magic of the rainbow, Firey. Taste it."

      "How's my cousin?" Tree asks, finally an insightful sentence.

      "She's good."

       "I wanna meet your cousin, Tree." Pen jumps in, eating cookie dough ice cream— where did he get that?

       "You met in high school."

        "I only saw her as the kid who sells lemonade for profit. Those were damn good lemons."

         "Don't compliment my wife like that, please."

         "I got it! Let's go to a trip!" Tree exclaims, Pen jumping in joy. "Great! Finally, a chance away from your students! No paperwork, Tree."

          Tree pouts, putting away his laptop. "Fine."

          "What!? How is this great? We just met after.. what— a decade!?"

          Pen didn't care. "Then.. this is our get to know everyone again party! Only invite mutuals."

         Pen and Tree had just started a reunion party.

         "Should we invite everyone?" Tree asks, wondering how it would cost.

         "Or just a nice vacation with your relatives and close friends? Let the rich handle the reunion party. It'll come along." I comply, finding a date for it.

         "Schedule it in two weeks! Let's have.. a 5 day vacation! No work, and most of all, just mutuals!" Pen shouts, still jumping up and down from his excitement. Or it's the sugar rush. Who cares?

         Today, I met a person named Eggy, reconciled with Tree and Pen— who happens to be dating each other, and is late for dinner. Though this is kinda fun.

          However when I got home, there was no dinner. Because the lights were on, just like how I left them, and nothing's changed. No noise, or a sight of a sleeping Leafy. None.

          Leafy had just left me waiting again.

          She left me hoping for nothing again.

         Shopping was useless. Everything I did— was useless. My efforts— gone. Reduced. Boom. Disappeared. There's no point anymore. I was hoping— waiting— and believed in her promise in me. But nope— she lied. She lied again. I don't want to believe her lies anymore.

         Not again.

         Why do I still love her?