Firey

Leafy's dilated pupils look into mine, with shock and despair. The silence in the room gave me the answer I was waiting for. "So you are."

She rambled, stuttering, holding back tears. "I-I'm n-not! Why would I- e-ever—"

My emotions popped like a volcano, everything that I've hid from her just to keep smiling shows. "Because I'm always easily replaced, ok!? I'm never— I don't last that long! I've been gone for so long.. I wasn't there for you!"

When I had realized that I was taking all the blame for myself, Leafy's face cowered, she trembled into her knees, sobbing. "It's not that! I— I didn't replace you! How could I- I was waiting— Firey— When you came back I couldn't just be so happy- I was hurt too!"

"I know! I know! I'm sorry for leaving you— I didn't mean to— I didn't want to! But just.. you kept me hanging.. you lead me.. and I just.. I don't know how to do this anymore."

Her face looked up to mine, holding my hand. "I wish I could make it up to you. I'm sorry, Firey."

"You could."

"How?"

I sat beside her, holding her close to me. "I met with your cousin the other day. He said.. he wanted to meet you again and.. Me, you, them, and some other people on a week vacation on a tropical island." Leafy still looks away, though tightening her grip on my hand. "Can you promise me you won't leave me hanging this time?" I ask, holding her chin towards mine.

Her eyes were red from her tears, soft stifling and whimpering.

  "I promise."

  "Pinky swear."

  "Yeah.. I swear on my heart."

  Leafy seemed weak, vulnerable, or scared. What she needed right now was comfort. "Can I hug you?" I question, fiddling with her fingers on my palm.

  "No," She whimpers, resting her head on my shoulder.

   "I want you to kiss me."