Chapter 10

We get out of the pool to get ready for dinner then made our way to the dinner table. I ended up sitting next to Noah. Peter and his wife Lola were sitting next to each other as Eric's parents, Richard and Helen sat next to each other. Ivy sat next to Eric on opposite sides of the table from me. Lola picks up her glass of wine as she looks at me. "So Hope, Peter here tells me you are Ivy's roommate?" I give her a smile. 

"Yes, that's correct." Richard and Helen looked at me. 

"So you're a freshman?" Helen asked. 

"No," They give me a confused look. 

"But I thought you were new at the college?" Lola asked. I nodded. 

"I am. I went to two other colleges before coming here." She nods. She and Helen share a look before turning towards each other before starting a conversation of their own. I looked down at my plate and sighed. 

"You know Hope, you never told me what your father did for business to be so rich," Noah said loudly. I looked at him as the side conversation stopped. He gave me a wink. I gave him a confused look. 

"I didn't know your father was rich," Ivy added on. I looked at her confused. I had told her about him. I watched her glance at her parents. 

"My father is in landscaping," I said quietly. 

"Really?" Peter said. I looked at him. 

"Yes, sir." He nods slowly. 

"What's his name? I might know him." 

"Kevin Jacobs." He smiles. 

"I didn't know Kevin had a daughter." I let out a small laugh. 

"Yeah, he doesn't." He gives me a confused look. "Kevin left when I was 15 years old. He had cheated on my mother." 

"I'm sorry to hear that." He said. 

"But he's still your dad," Helen said. I opened my mouth to protest but I decided against it. She nods. "So how much money does your dad make? Like how rich are you?" I sighed. 

"I'm not rich. The only thing that makes me look rich is the car he bought me as a pity gift. I went to two other colleges before Princeton because I couldn't afford it. Excuse my rudeness but Kevin isn't my dad. I had a dad who passed away three years ago. I will rather be poor then ask Kevin for a dime. Now if you'll excuse me I'm going to leave." I said getting up. Both Helen and Lola gasped. 

"You are one rude child," Helen said. I nod. 

"I wasn't trying to be." I went to grab my phone when Noah grabbed my wrist. I looked at him as he clenches his jaw. He clears his throat. 

"Sit down." He said softly. I opened my mouth to protest when he stood up. His eyes looked into mine. "Please." I nodded and sat down. He moved his hand slowly as he tucks his hands in his pockets. 

"You should just let her leave. She is rude and disrespectful." Helen said to him. I glanced at her to see disapproval. 

"This is my house. I love having you guys over for dinner and I love the food but I'm going to ask you to leave." 

"What?" Lola asked as she stood up. I looked at Noah. 

"I don't appreciate you disrespecting my guest in my home." Helen scuffs. 

"You didn't even invite her. Your father did. He was only trying to be nice." 

"He may have invited her but she is still my guest. She may not have the money as we do but she is still human. She is a cool person to be around. If you really got to know her you would like her." I was shocked that he was standing up for me. 

"You can't kick me out. I am your mother." Lola said. Noah nods. 

"You may be my mother but my mother wouldn't judge somebody by their bank account." Peter stands up. 

"We are leaving. Lola, I apologize for my wife's behavior and as well as Helen's." He said to me. He looked at his son before they left. As soon as they were out of the house I stood up and turned to Noah. He looked at me. 

"Thank you, Noah but you didn't have to do that," I said. He glances down.  

"Yes, I did. They shouldn't have judged you and I shouldn't have mentioned your- Kevin." I look away from him. 

"It's getting late. I should get back to my dorm." I said softly. 

"Well we were going to stay the night tonight but I can bring you back if you want?" Ivy asked. I looked at her. 

"Don't be ridiculous. Hope, you are welcome to stay the night." I look at Noah as he walks away. I sigh as I look back at Ivy. She looks at Eric and back at me. 

"I apologize for my mother," Eric said. I looked down. 

"It's okay, Eric. I'm used to it by now. I dated a guy who had the same situation as Noah. He was the dean's son and the captain of his frat. His parents didn't approve of me so he dumped me. I try to stay out of the riches's way to avoid things like this." 

"Well for what it's worth I don't care about your bank account or what my parents have to say. We are friends." Ivy said. I looked at her and smiled. 

"Thank you." She nods.