Chapter 25

Finding Ways

"Good morning Grade 12 students." The university president greeted us as soon as he stepped behind the rostrum, expecting only half of the students seated inside the amphitheater to greet him back.

"I called everyone here to announce our annual community immersion as a way of Xavier University to give back to the marginalized communities in the province." Pag-uumpisa nito.

"We aim to develop the values of empathy, sharing and kindness in the hearts of our students, so we wanted to involve Xavierians in this kind of humanity work." Dagdag nito.

So we will be doing a community service? This sounds cool.

"To discuss to you the finer details of this immersion, let me turn now the microphone to Mr. Sevilla, our Community Outreach Program Coordinator."

Namutawi ang palakpakan sa loob ng amphitheater nang matapos sa pagsasalita ang university president. Agad din namang pumalit sa kanya si Mr. Sevilla.

"Good Morning Grade 12 students of Xavier University." Bati niya.

Umayos ako ng upo at nakinig ng mabuti sa sasabihin nito.

"Okay, as our university president said, every year we are doing a community immersion as a way of helping our brothers and sisters in the marginalized sectors of our community. This will also be one of your requirements in Christian Living subject."

"Ang community immersion niyo ay binubuo ng apat na araw, na mag-uumpisa next week, Wednesday hanggang Saturday. Sa loob ng apat na araw na iyon, mamumuhay kayong katulad nila. Yes, we want you to experience living the life of our indigent fellowmen."

And then he dropped the bombed that caused loud murmurs around the place. Some are excited but there are still some who hated the idea of living a life they were not used to.

My reaction about it? Well, I have no choice since this is a school requirement. Tsaka maayos naman na makatutulong kami sa mga mas nangangailangan.

"Okay. I know why some of you reacted against this immersion. Beat me, we encounter the same issue every year."

Ngumiti si Mr. Sevilla, ganoon rin ang university president.

"So let me inform you that in that 3-day immersion, everyone will not be required to stay at the community at night. Lahat kayo ay tutuloy sa partner hotel ng university. Separate rooms for girls and boys. Provided din ang breakfast, lunch, and dinner."

An exaggerated sigh of relief was being heard around the amphitheater. Hindi na napigilang humalakhak ni Mr. Sevilla.

"Paano ang magiging sistema natin? ... So this is how it will be. Two students will be assigned to one household, who will be their adopted family for the whole duration of the community immersion. Later on, we will post the list of pairings."

Another shrieked of excitement was reverberated around the place. Maybe because of the idea of doing it not alone.

Nagpatuloy sa pananalita si Mr. Sevilla. "Okay please listen, I will read now the community assigned to your respective strands. For STEM, your assigned community is Barangay Maligaya. For ABM, you'll be working with the families in Sitio Payapa..."

Hindi ko na napakinggan pa ang mga sumunod nitong sinabi dahil tumutok ang isip ko sa binanggit nitong lugar. Where the fudge is Sitio Payapa?

I look at the students around me and they were mirroring the same expression that I have. Seems like everyone knows nothing about the place too. Great!