Chapter 29: The Scheme

Bandit's POV
Wednesday

Last night we took Gerard and Mikey to Gilman to see Operation Ivy and they absolutely loved it. Mikey even bought one of their cassettes and tee shirts. Then we went back to the beach and this time we had not just weed but a twelve pack of beer, a bottle of shitty whiskey, and a bunch of snacks. We stayed out until five in the morning, dumb but fun.

Gerard and Mikey's arrival numbed me to the fact that Billie was sick in basically the hospital for a while. But Wednesday afternoon when we woke up, it hit us. It's not just visiting him and he'll be himself again, he's gonna be a fucking mess.

We were piled into Mike's truck, this time Mikey hung out with Tré in the bed of the truck. The ride was silent. We all knew to expect Billie to be at his worst, but we still didn't know what to expect if that makes sense. He could be happy to see us, mad, too sick to care, who knows?

We pulled into the facility's parking lot and walked in, we should all be here technically but that's not happening anytime soon. We don't care about ourselves enough to quit smoking and drinking. That gives me even more of a reason to applaud Billie, he cared enough to come here.

We checked in for our visit time and we were bright to a room full of round tables with patients and their families. A few tables down I saw Billie, he was pale with bagged eyes. He was wearing grey sweat pants and a black hoodie. He looked horrible, but he's getting better, soon he's gonna look so much better.

He looked up and smiled at us. He stood up as we approached jogged over to us and immediately hugged me. He then hugged Mike and Tré. Him and Gerard had this moment of looking at each other then Gerard saying, "I knew you'd do it." Then they hugged. He's my best friend, Billie!

They pulled apart and Mikey smiled at him, "so your Billie."

"And your Mikey," Billie smiled back and they did the 'bro hug' thing. Too new for a real hug.

We all sat down at the table and Billie asked us, "so how's the world?"

"Same old, same old. Gilman and beach is all you've missed," Tré grinned as he drummed on the table.

"Oh what band?" Billie asked.

"Operation Ivy," Mike answered.

"Nice," he nodded, "we gotta play a show there when this is all over."

"Yeah," Tré nodded, "gotta get the band up and running again."

"I've got a lot of new stuff written and I got a lot of time to write so we'll have a lot of new stuff for everyone," Billie smiled.

"Yes!" I cheered silently.

"And we got our groupie back," Tré and Billie fist bumped.

"Someone is gonna take that literally one day and you're gonna make me look horrible," I sighed shaking my head.

"Pfft," Tré rolled his eyes.

"Gerard, you're a bad influence on my Chipmunk," I looked at Gee.

"Sorry," he flipped his hair, "but I prefer to be called a role model."

"Yes, yes the attitude is a thing we want children to have," Mikey said sarcastically.

"It's rubbed off on you clearly," Gerard looked at him with one of those looks.

"Well I kinda live with you," Mikey laughed.

"Oh, Bandit could you like go to the bathroom for like five minutes so we can scheme?" Gerard asked me.