Chapter Eight: Doubt

It was Saturday morning, early morning birds gleefully sang outside the bedroom Jirou slept in with Yaoyorozu and Ashido. Both Yaomomo and Ashido slept on the bed, Jirou preferred her own space and took the available spot on the window loveseat, and to be honest she didn't mind it one bit. The view over the lake was a serene sight anyone would love to wake up to.

She turned her head, glancing at a clock that hung on the wall, reading it was still only 7 AM. She guessed her schedule just made her wake up earlier than everyone else. Neither Mina or Momo seemed awake, so she shifted her blankets aside, quietly passing by them into the hallway. The other girls had slept in a bedroom across from theirs, the door being locked, she guessed they were all still asleep as well. The guys who slept upstairs were still fast asleep, with their rooms being left wide open. That was funny, even Iida wasn't up earlier than her.

Jirou yawned, feeling her way toward the bathroom with squinted eyes. She flicked on the lights, rinsing her face off with water, tying her hair into a loose, messy bun. A few moments later she found her way downstairs, no one seemed to be awake down here either. She preferred to keep it that way, once Kaminari or Sero was up, she knew the peace and tranquility of the cabin would be ruined. When she glanced over she found Kaminari lying facedown on the floor, with the rest of his body on the mattress. How he slept comfortably like that, Jirou wouldn't know. She let a smile slip through her mouth with a light puff of air leaving her nose.

The kitchen was silent except for the faint chirp of birds outdoors and the light drone of the refrigerator. She got up on her toes, reaching up for a mug in a cupboard. She felt guilty making coffee without Yaomomo's permission so she settled for water instead, pressing the cup against a water dispenser installed into the fridge door. Someone left an opened loaf of bread laid on the counter.

Someone forgot to close it.

With a small eye roll, she took three slices, twisting the bag and tucking it under the loaf before silently slipping past the guys snoozing in the living room. She quietly shut the screen door, but left the glass door inside open so no one wondered where she would've gone. From beyond the concrete of the patio was a path that travelled down a little lip of land that met the shoreline of the lake, a separate path arched its way toward the garden and a third path edging left led to the bench Ashido had found yesterday.

The concrete squares she stepped along broke up into a line of stones, hopping across each stone she arrived to the bench, avoiding the grass by sitting crisscross along the wood. A light mist of fog coated the area, crickets still chirped happily from the forest around her, sunlight just barely peaked above the trees as morning grew brighter. She ripped a small section from a slice of bread, flicking it into the lake to see if she could catch glimpse of a fish or maybe even attract the ducks swimming farther away.

She took another slice for herself, biting into it while keeping the other pieces in her right hand. Two ducks were swimming by the shoreline, edging over curiously to find the floating bread pieces in the water. Humming a quiet song to herself, she took another piece and tossed it into the lake, crouching along a steep rocky ledge to say hello to the animals.

"Mr and Mrs huh?" She picked off another piece as the ducks looked up at her, waiting in anticipation for more bread. She ripped off a new piece, rolling the chunks into smaller balls for them as each one softly plopped into the water.

"Who's here?" A voice startled her as she fumbled over the edge, the ducks swimming away startled as her foot slipped on the rocks.

"AH-" she was abruptly yanked back as someone caught her. Turning her head back she was met with a familiar blond.

"I didn't mean to scare you," he apologized as they gently brought their hands together.

"Doofus, if I fell in I would've killed you," Jirou playfully pushed him back.