Chapter Fifty-Seven: Day Before The Festival

"Okay, so the gym's closed off to the rest of the school and we just finished setting up the foam mats," Oijiro came up to the kitchen counter, where Sato was already whirling away at catering to the food. "We should be set for tomorrow."

"Nice," he and Oijirou shared a quick high five.

It was March 12th. Tomorrow was Yuuei's School Festival, and Class 3A and B were lively and awake this late Friday afternoon. Half the class had been on preparation duty at the dorms, the other half was in charge of setting up the gym for tomorrow. One by one, students began filing back into 3A's dorms, the noise only grew when 3B students started arriving as well. It was currently only 5 PM, which only left the kids about 3 hours until the curfew made them leave.

They had figured out that the power outage affected not only their entire dorm, but the surrounding dormitories over. Classes 2K and 3B weren't very fond of that, but after a quick notification from Iida, the dorm custodians managed to get the power up and running the next morning. No one other than the students on the 3rd floor had felt anything strange that night, they didn't seem to mind it either, as the only thing on their minds at the moment was the festival.

Jirou was by the kitchen counters, helping Sato and Oijiro set out the food when the doors flew open and someone noisy waltzed inside.

"Heeeey!" Tetsutetsu had hollered. Hearing the familiar voice, Kirishima joined in from across the commons room, causing a ruckus and therefore; starting the party.

While her attention was distracted, a short, purple haired boy tramped past Jirou and out of her vision, scurrying toward the doorway. He breathed a sigh of relief before scanning the room curiously.

"Just like, ask him where the drinks are Kodai," a talkative girl with pine hair nudged her shoulder. Kodai shook her head nervously. "Seriously? We're in 3A's dorms, he's probably here somewhere."

"No Tokage. . .I'm too nervous," the raven haired girl latched on her friend's arm with an anxious face.

"Well after today and tomorrow we'll have testing, he'll probably be too busy by then so let's go find him now!" Tokage marched forward deeper into the dorms, Kodai feebly trailing her.

"No! No- forget I said anything, just drop the whole thing," Kodai was fidgeting with her fingers as her anxiety only grew.

"C'mon! You can't expect me to ignore this. A year, Yui Kodai, it's been a year!"

"Y-yeah, but it's not like we have tutoring sessions every week," Kodai replied bashfully.

"Look, I can stand next to you, and all you have to ask is 'Oh, hello! Do you know where the drinks might be?'" Tokage reassured the timid girl softly.

"You're looking for the drinks?" A new voice interrupted the girls, the looked left and right before staring at the ground to a short, purple-haired boy in front of them.

"Oh, well-"

"I could show you where they are, probably a lot more if you let me," he tilted his head forward with arched brows.

"Nah, we're good," Tokage lifted a dainty hand to make him go away. He didn't seem to catch her hint.

"So you're Yui Kodai and Setsuna Tokage right?" Mineta said as he leant against the window they stood at.

"That's my name, don't wear it out," Tokage said quite confidently, visibly annoyed Mineta hadn't taken her hint. Kodai only shyly nodded.

"Are you both single?" Mineta came to lean dangerously close to Kodai, making her feel uncomfortable and shudder.

"U-uhm," she twiddled with her fingers before a skin colored chord came between her and Mineta's face. She looked to her right to find doom; built into the shape of Kyoka Jirou.

She shot Mineta a deathly glare before he gulped and put his hands up in defeat.

"Okay okay. . ." Mineta blurted, avoiding the fire in Jirou's eyes by looking at the floor. He continued to shuffle away, making Kodai's uneasiness fade.

Sero was standing at a dining table not far from them, he elbowed his girlfriend gently in the shoulder.

"See, I told you, Mineta's totally scared of her," Sero snickered. (Throwback to the waterpark chapters aha.)

"I'm sorry that that was the first thing you had to experience at this party," Jirou had her arms folded as she glared daggers into the back of Mineta's head.

"It's alright, who isn't used to it," Tokage swatted her hands and gave a cheeky smile. "Now let's go find glasses boy!" She added, pointing into the air and grabbing her friend's wrist.

"Wait! No, Tokage-" Kodai stuttered and pulled back.

"Glasses? You mean Iida?" Jirou questioned as both 3B girls stared at her.

"Yes, that one! The glasses one, where is he?" Tokage inquired with an intriguing grin.

"Nononono-" Kodai panicked as her face flushed red.

"I think he's actually still in the gymnasium setting up our festival stuff, he should be back soon though," Jirou answered, glancing out the window as the sun began to set.

"You still got time then Kodai," Tokage exclaimed.

"No, no I can't anymore," she muttered, hiding her face in her hands.

"Hey, you wanna talk to Iida, right?" Jirou asked as Kodai returned a meek nod. "Sometimes he's super stern and a total killjoy, but he really likes nature, try talking to him about that," Jirou gave a wink before continuing her help in by the counters.

"Hey look, it's glasses boy!" Tokage pointed as Iida entered 3A's dormitory courtyard, speaking with Todoroki. Kodai felt her chest fill with butterflies and her limbs fill with tension. "Go! Go! Now's your chance!" Tokage encouraged her enthusiastically.

Kodai played with her fingers before leaving Tokage's side. Iida and her had been study buddies for the past year and a half, she'd asked him for help on mostly mathematics homework, while she helped him with history and English subjects. She may or may not have developed tiny feelings for him during that time.

Jirou set out the last tray of food before glancing up to catch Kodai speak with Iida. He seemed to smile at her then softly laugh, Kodai did the same. They later disappeared into the mess of students filling the dorm.

The sun was slipping behind the city skyline, turning the sky a lovely mauve. It was around 6:25, pretty soon the sunlight would fade completely as it drew toward 7:00. The party was up and running, but the mood didn't seem right to Jirou. Of course, she was definitely having a great time by the couches as people joined her in a game of "Cards Against Humanity", but something else was missing.