Chapter Thirty-Four: Something Miraculous

Wednesday Afternoon

Kaminari was sitting in his dorm, skimming through a library book he'd borrowed.

After two knocks at his door, Sero walked in.

"Hey," Sero said a greeting before shutting the door behind him.

"Hey," Kaminari replied more solemnly, looking back down at his book, he heard Sero shift closer to his desk. He could tell he was peering over his shoulder to look at what he was reading.

Seeing Kaminari go to the library was already odd enough, but seeing him actually read a book from there was even more peculiar.

"What are you reading?" He heard Sero ask.

"A book on quirk narcotics," Kaminari answered, rubbing one of the pages between two fingers.

There was a hesitant pause from Sero when he went to go lean against a shelf next to his desk, silence filled the room. There wasn't really any closure on what had happened a few days prior, they could both feel the awkward atmosphere lingering in the room.

"Hey, about Sunday-" Kaminari avoided eye contact, gazing at the pages in his book without looking up.

"No, don't apologize," Sero cut in before he could finish his sentence. "Because I realized I haven't felt what it's like to lose Mina yet. I guess I shouldn't be saying things that are so insensitive."

"I'm saying it anyway, whether you accept it or not," Kaminari continued. "I'm sorry if that hurt you."

"Meeeah, it hurt a little," Sero confessed, staring at his own palms that'd been shocked a few days prior, then shifting his eyes to his friend. "But it's ok, I know I'm an ass."

"Yeah you are," Kaminari said in a more spirited tone, followed by a joke punch to the ribs, causing both of them to snicker. Sero paused to take one of the books Kaminari had on his desk. Another book on quirk terminology.

"Why quirk narcotics?" Sero looked back down at what Kaminari was reading.

"The things they were talking about selling," Kaminari responded, deep in thought. "It was the same thing I saw that snake guy hold right before he wiped Jirou's memory."

"You think he used it?" Sero asked.

"I don't know but it wouldn't explain his quirk," Kaminari rubbed his hair with a tired expression.

Sero flopped onto Kaminari's bed, bringing a pillow under his chest as he opened the book he was holding. Biting the inside of his cheek, he flipped through the pages, stopping when he gained an unusual thought.

"What if he has two quirks?" He asked, Kaminari turned around with a questioning look.

"What do you mean? Can't a person can only have one quirk unless they're a hybrid like Todoroki?" Kaminari shook his head.

"What if one quirk wasn't his?" He added as both of them pondered the idea.

It would be a question left unanswered for the rest of the day.

Sero had left his dorm by now, it was late at night, nearly 10 PM. The boys turned up with nothing. At least Kaminari felt somewhat informed for once. Tons of words in those books flew over his head, he still read them nonetheless. He slipped off his shirt and changed into some night clothes, glancing over the photographs scattered along his desk and mirror. He stopped on a photo where he and Yaoyorozu were posed, making ridiculous expressions at a carnival some of their friends had gone to. He remembered that one, Jirou took it for them.