Chapter Twenty-Four: Forgotten Memories

They were all released from school early, but instead of going to his dorm or meeting his parents, Kaminari decided to visit the hospital.

Tapping his foot anxiously, Kaminari sat in a faded blue chair in the waiting room, holding onto a small bundle of purple hyacinth flowers. He had come alone, and had a certain person he planned on seeing within the hospital doors. What had happened earlier still ran in his mind like a racecar repeatedly running in circles. At this point in time, he still didn't understand what that villain's quirk was or what it had done to his friends.

'You're the one who didn't fall.'

Why Kaminari wasn't affected by his quirk, he didn't understand either. Why were Bakugo and Jirou taken out so easily? And why did everyone else on his team seem unaffected as well?

"Denki Kaminari?" A nurse called as Kaminari raised his head, getting up to reach the desk.

"That's me."

"Oh, alright, so you're here to see Kyoka Jirou, correct?" She asked while skimming over a clipboard as he nodded. "Visiting hours are coming to a close pretty soon, but I believe she's awake now. Please, follow me," the nurse opened a door next to her, allowing him into the maze of different doctor's rooms, arriving to a room labeled "214" on the side, she opened the door as they silently stepped in. A curtain blocked the bed from the view of the door.

"Do you. . .know what happened to her?" Kaminari asked worried.

"That information is still presently being sorted by our quirk experts," the nurse replied solemnly. "We believe she's experienced severe memory loss, the hippocampus region of the brain in both individuals has been affected drastically. This one, worse than the other. The authorities are currently trying to investigate the attacker responsible, but we're afraid all we must do for now is wait," she said sadly, knowing very well Kaminari's heart broke at that statement.

"Do you know if she's alright?" He asked.

"She currently can't remember how to do basic functions, like eat or write. She can still somehow speak however." The nurse lightly pulled aside the blue curtain, Jirou was sitting in a hospital gown, startled to find two strangers in her room.

"Who-who are you?" Jirou asked confused as they both stepped forward.

"It's me, Kaminari, remember?" He gave a weak smile as Jirou looked at the nurse suspiciously then back at him.

"I. . .I don't know anyone named Kaminari," Jirou said slowly, edging herself away when Kaminari stepped next to her bed.

"Seriously? What about. . .'Dunce Face'? Or 'Dimwatt'?" he waited for her facial expression to change. It didn't. "'Jamming Whey?' or maybe 'Dunder Bolt'. . ?" He asked, the panic rising in his chest.

Jirou slowly shook her head, wearing a skeptical face.

Her eyes didn't seem to hold that same moon-like undertone anymore.

It was gone.

"We- we're like, best friends," Kaminari could feel his hands lightly trembling. "Do. . . don't you remember me? We were supposed to go to that arcade after school today," His voice quivering to a quiet tone.

"I'm sorry. . .but, I don't think I've ever seen you before in my life," she brought her hands closer to her body, suspicious of everyone and everything.

"Apologies, but visiting hours are closing for the night," the nurse tapped his shoulder, making him flinched. "You can always return tomorrow," she spoke softly as he handed her the flowers.

Kaminari glanced at Jirou before exiting through the curtains.

She. . .forgot about me.

"Don't worry, I'm certain there'll be answer for all this soon. You U.A students are tough as nails, I'm confident it'll all be fine," she reassured him.

"Thank you miss," Kaminari waved as she nodded and shut the door to the waiting room. Exiting outside, he noticed the sun was setting across the city skyline. Just a month ago he'd been sitting on a blanket, watching that same sunset with her as they ate marshmallows.

His tears felt cold as they spilled down his face, walking silently back toward the U.A. dorms.

Yuuei Dormitories

"We're glad you're all alright," Ashido said as Uraraka plopped herself on the couch nearby.

"Those little serpents, truly despicable creatures," Aoyama said, pinching his nose.

"So he caused them to fall without even touching them?" Midoriya rubbed his chin.

"Kaminari told me to avoid his eyes, for some reason it wasn't affecting him or any of you," Sato scratched his head.

"If its not physical then it could be like Mr. Aizawa's quirk, then it'd mean he'd need to look at our eyes right?" Hagakure mentioned.

"Well he could see all of us, but he only managed to get Jirou and Bakugo, would it be like a Medusa type of thing?" Sato said.

"All of us could see him, and he could see us, but we didn't fall under his influence like they were affected," Uraraka said timidly from her spot on the couch.

"Well he can't see me either way," Hagakure added. "I didn't get a good look at what exactly his eyes were doing though."

"He said something to Kaminari that I couldn't fully hear," Sato spoke. "Is Kaminari here?"

The door to the dorms opening startled the students huddled on the couches, someone stepped inside with their hoodie covering their face, tufts of electric blonde hair poking out here and there. Avoiding everyone, he left toward the elevator, clicking the button to go to the third floor.

"There he is! I could ask him," Ashido hopped up from her spot, tapping Kaminari on the shoulder. "Hey Kaminari, where'd you go? Do you know when Bakugo or Jirou are gonna be awake?"

Kaminari replied with a light shrug.

"Hey dude, what's up? Are you tired or something," Ashido kept poking his shoulder.

The elevator took an unbearably long amount of time to finally reach the ground floor. Kaminari turned his face away when Ashido tried to look at him.

"Dude, what's wrong?" Ashido shook his arms as he slammed his hand on the elevator button, his palm flat and his arm tensed.

"What do you want?" Kaminari whipped his head over, sucking in hard breathes, his voice breaking like he'd been crying.

"Kaminari- are you alright. . ?" Ashido's voice fell to a softer tone, he eyes following the dried tear marks that stained his cheeks as the elevator doors slid open. He stood glaring at her with the most hurt expression she'd ever seen Kaminari make, ever.

"No," he replied, disappearing into the elevator as it closed behind him.

Author's Note: Oh, I actually foreshadowed this happening. Did you catch the chapter where I said it? >:)