Chapter 9: CATS VS CROWS: THE GREAT TRASHCAN SHOWDOWN

The game started with Kenma serving, but he was shut down after Tobi and Hinata's quick attack. At the first time out Karsuno was leading the scoreboard at 14 to Nekoma's 11. They were watching us, analyzing our every move. Before the timeout ended, Kuroo came over. 

K: Impressed yet?

"Yeah, Kenma's amazing. You've got a really amazing team."

K: Well you know what they say, a team is only as strong as its leader."

"I'm pretty sure the quote refers to its weakest link."

K: You really don't like to cut a guy any slack do you? *chuckle*

"It's no fun if I'm not winning."

*chuckle* K: You really are one of a kind.

Smirking, he walked away. "That jerk. He can't say things like that and leave" I whispered while trying to hide the blush threatening to creep on my cheeks. Once the time out ended it was like my eyes were drawn to him. His receives were flawless and his spikes had some power. I was hooked. *Shakes head, lightly slaps cheeks* Snap out of (P/N), you don't even know this guy. After blocking Tobi and Hinata's quick attack Nekoma took the first set. Each team huddled, but when Nekoma had finished Kuroo walked over again with his signature smirk.

K: Nekoma won the set. Does that mean we get to start over?

"Don't you have better things to do than harass a girl you barely know, oh like, maybe, I don't know, LEAD A TEAM."

K: Awwww, looks like someone's a sore loser. *Grabs cheeks*

*Slaps away hand while blushing* "HEY, I AM NOT. My exact words were AND I QUOTE "win a set and I'LL THINK ABOUT IT." GUESS WHAT I'M STILL THINKING ABOUT IT."

K: Do you always get this flustered when you're thinking about something?

*HMPH, looks away* "Who says I'm flustered."

K: Maybe it's the blush on your face, but you're right I'm probably just seeing things.

"I believe the word the word you're looking for is MUST BE."

K: Whether I was or not, doesn't matter, because I know it was cute. I'll see you later (P/N).

The second set started and I could see Hinata evolving before my very eyes. Throughout the game Hinata was trying quick attacks at different tempos, but mostly important Hinata had finally started doing them with his eyes open. This boy is amazing. When Nekoma had reached 15 points the ball had nicked Kuroo's finger a little too hard and caused the nail on his index finger to bleed. He was subbed out and sent my way. "Part of me thinks you did this on purpose" I said as I pulled out my tape, a bandage, an alcohol wipe and some antibacterial ointment.

K: And why would I do that?

"You're walking away from a set because of a bloody nail. About 99% of the players I know would never walk away."

K: What can I say, I'm one in a million. What kind of medic are you anyway? This is a serious injury, my finger really hurts and you want to turn me away? Isn't that against the honor code? Forshame (P/N) *tsk, tsk, tsk* I'm really disappointed in you. I thought you were better than that.

"Maybe it's cause you're walking over here with a smirk on your face. Or maybe it's the fact that you aren't holding your finger in agony. But please if you can find someone better go full speed ahead. Wait, you know everything, you can do it yourself!

K: I'm braving the pain like the soldier that I am.

I'm pretty sure his stupid face is just stuck like that. "Oh well, excusssssse me. Let me see the digit." I started inspecting the digit moving up each phalange. "Does it hurt when I squeeze it?"

K: No

I blushed and looked into those hazel eyes to see them staring back at mine. "I think I see what the problem is." I smiled.

K: What's your diagnosis Doctor? Is it fatal?

"Yea, I think it is. Because if you don't unwrap your hand from mine I might have to kill you." He chuckled.

K: You might need some more training. I don't see how holding hands is a problem.

Coach Nekomata:"KUROO, ARE YOU GETTING YOUR FINGER TAPED OR FINDING PLANS FOR SATURDAY NIGHT, HURRY UP AND GET BACK IN THE GAME."

I reluctantly pulled my hand away and got the alcohol wipe. "You need to take better care of your cuticles." I cleaned up the dry blood and started blowing so it wouldn't sting as bad. I then applied a tiny bit of antibacterial ointment to kill any bacteria that may have entered the opening and protect from infection. I wrapped the cuticle in a bandage and finished up with a very light layer of tape to keep everything in place. "All set. You're ready to conquer the world." *smiles*

K: (P/N)

"Yea?"

K: What's it going to take to get your number? * Closed Eyed Smile*

That smile, it's the first I've ever seen it, so why does it make me feel like this? *Blush* "Co... Co... Couldn't you just get it from Kenma?'

K: Yeah, but I wouldn't be earning it. I want you to be the one to give it to me.

*Smile* There it is again. "There's 25 points in a set, and I told you to win one. Score 25 points and it's yours."

Kuroo subbed back in and helped Nekoma win the game. The boys however decided to keep going, until they reached a total of six sets. Coach Nekomata had to force the team to pack up. The last train to Tokyo was leaving soon and they had to be on it. "Coming over to say goodbye?"

K: You saved my finger from amputation. How could I leave without properly thanking my saviour?

"All in a day's work. You know me, I'm just SUCH a giver."

K: I know this is asking for a lot, but any chance you'd give me a break and say you miscounted the score total?

"Sorry, but I think I'm at my capacity today. I can't have people thinking I'm a saint. Twenty four points, looks like you're at set point."

*chuckle* K: Fair is Fair. I guess we'll pick this up next time?

"Hold on. Would it really be fair if I didn't give you a point curve for your injury? I mean if that life or death matter hadn't kept you out of the game for five whole minutes I firmly believe you would've hit your mark."

*smiles* K: Oya?

"Oya? Oya?"

K: Oya, Oya, Oya

We both burst out laughing. When we stopped, Kuroo handed me his phone and I saved my number into it. We said goodbye before I ran to say goodbye to Kenma. " KENMA SENPAI! WERE YOU GOING TO LEAVE WITHOUT SAYING GOODBYE?"

Kenma: I mean maybe.

I deadpanned. SETTERS, THEY. REALLY. ARE. A. DIFFERENT. BREED. I started thinking about each setter in my life. Yup, all odd. I shook the thought out of my head. "Make sure to take care of yourself okay." *Smile*

Kenma: Right. And (P/N), take care of Shōyō for me.

After some intense hand shaking and some weird exchanges the Nekoma boys departed for the train station. The boys helped Kiyoko and me clean up and with that we also headed home.