Chapter 61: HAPPY BIRTHDAY

Not again. Absolutely not. It's not fair. Why do I always end up hurt? Every single time the wall comes down, I end up on the chopping block. Why does it have to be me? Why can't someone choose me? What's wrong with me? Right. Everyone is asleep, but what am I supposed to do. I kept pacing around my room when I heard a knock. Hedge. I quickly pulled out Hoodie and shorts before saying come in. I pretended to fold laundry.

H: Hey track star, done with the pacing?

"I wasn't pacing. I was exercising, and now I'm folding clothes." Hajime sat down and watched me.

H: Happy Birthday.

"Thanks..."

*sigh* H: Come here.

Hedge opened up his arms for me to climb into. I happily obliged.

H: Before you were born I asked mom for a brother. A couple months later she told me I was getting a sister instead, so I asked her to return you.

"Pretty sure she lost the receipt."

H: The day you were born was one of the worst days in my life.

"You know, this speech just keeps getting better and better."

H: Shut up and listen. It was one of the worst days of my life, because that's the day I became who I am. Even though I was two maybe?? I think. I knew that you were the most important thing in my world and I had to protect you at all cost. Mom likes to say you're the one who made me aggressive.

"She'd tell me that when Tooru tried to hold me you'd be following him around ready to catch me."

H: I don't recall much from back then, but I do know I promised I'd never let anyone hurt. You're 16 now and that's gotten a little more difficult, but I want you to know that I love you kid and if you ever need to talk I'm here.

"Thanks Hedge, but I think I'm alright."

H: Are you sure? I talked to Shittykawa. He was pretty heartbroken.

"You have to have a heart for it to be broken."

H: (P/N), what you said really hurt him. This wasn't an easy decision for him to make. Whatever you said made him want to stay. I had to force him on that plane. I spent two hours on the phone with him making sure he got to the airport and on that flight.

"Why does it sound like you're on his side."

H: (P/N), this was a difficult enough decision for him to make. You didn't need to make him feel worse about it. This is his dream.

"Hajime, I love you, I really do, but we're at two very different places. We split. Game over. I was stupid to think that it would work out. Tooru left me and he didn't have the guts to tell me he was going to. I'm not upset because he chose to go to Brazil. I'm upset because he chose to not tell me he was leaving. I refuse to waste tears over him. End of story."

H: Are you sure? It's okay if you do.

"I'm fine."

H: Okay, then I'm going to bed. We have school tomorrow, so get some sleep. Oh and (P/N), Happy Birthday baby sister.

"Thanks Hajime." Hajime hugged me good night and went off to bed. As I laid down and stared up at the dark ceiling I wondered, am I really fine? When I woke up in the morning I felt fine. I was fine. I really was. I walked downstairs, got some breakfast, went to school, but then at lunch I checked my phone, and it all fell apart. I was walking to the lunch room with Tobi explaining how Tooru had left.

K:Are you okay?

"Yes, I'm fine. I wish people would stop asking me that. He made his choice. I'm not mad at him for going to Brazil. It's his dream, and I would never stand in the way of that. I'm mad at him for lying to my face and trying to hide it from me."