1:3

"Who the hell are you?"

Lena woke with a start at the sound of a mans voice. She breathed deeply, eyes squinting to adjust to the hazy sunlight above, and proceeded to practically cough up her lung, shooting pains firing across her chest and shoulder with the sudden movement. Her hand clutched her wound, and she grimaced, trying to calm her breathing and settle the pain with shaky, shuddering breaths. The air was stale and filled with dust and it took all her effort not to cough and cause more pain for herself.

She blinked rapidly after a moment and stared at the gun pointing right at her.

What would be terrifying for any normal person was only somewhat terrifying to Lena. It was something she was used to, after all, but the fact it was there and wielded by a man with bright, crazy eyes... not so fun, in hindsight.

She dragged herself away, eyes wide, and the man did not miss the way she struggled to push herself to a stand, eyes darting around frantically to take in the debris and dusty surroundings. The dull flames, the scent of ash and smoke, the lack of colour and greenery, not a tree or building left standing in sight. The sky above her a deep grey, specs of ash falling in her hair and making the air hard to breathe, it was all such a drastic change.

"Fuck!" She swore, hand grasping at her chest. Everything about her was frantic. Her eyes, her jittery movements. "Fuck!" She covered her face with her hands, clearly stressed.

Her eyes finally settled on him.

Staring back at her was a boy, around her age it seemed, with dark brown hair and sharp, calculating green eyes. His face was dirty, his clothes a mess, and he standed almost proactively infront of a wheelbarrow filled with supplies she couldn't quite make out through the misty air stinging her eyes.

The Handler had sent her to the end of the world. But what she didnt expect was the boy looking back at her with a cross between skepticism and excitement.

"How the hell did you get here?" His voice was void of emotion. "Who are you?"

The gun in her face was enough for her to force some words out of her mouth.

"What year is it?" She asks immediately, in a quiet voice that reminded him of someone he used to know. He frowned and lowers the gun only by a fraction.

The boy seemed intrigued in her choice of words. It was an odd question to ask by any means.

Her eyes took in his scruffy appearance, and he took in hers before answering.

"According to my calculations, around September, 2023. Answer my questions." He demanded, and she was once again reminded that he had the gun and she did not.

"Lena," she said, avoiding eye contact, instead shaking her hands out by her sides and crossing them over her chest, tucking them under her arms. Despite the ball of flames the earth had clearly gone up in, it was freezing. "I... can't really explain where I came from."

"You time traveled." He stated quickly, cogs turning in his head.

Lena turned in a slow circle, looking around at the desolation of the world she had just been in a minute prior. Still in awe, she didn't respond.

As far as she could see, the world was reduced to rubble and ashes. Destroyed. Littered with broken buildings, hollowed out cars, cracked pavements. No life, besides herself and the boy in front of her.

It was one thing watching the pixilated images on a screen behind a desk, but this... it was now a terrifying reality she had no hope of escaping.

Her eyes flickered across him and something in her head clicked.

"You're that kid." She said, before clearing her throat.

"Do I look like a kid to you?" He snapped, and she blinked away the dizziness that came with time travel.

"You're the one who went missing..." she continued to trail off and the boy pressed his lips together in a thin line.

"My name is Five," he lowered his gun to his side, eyeing her. "Welcome to hell, Lena."