Chapter 7

I got out of the car and stuffed my hands into my hoodie pocket, following my mom up to the carport where the majority of everybody was sitting. Spartacus ran up to me, wrapping his arms around my legs. I don't know what his mother was on when she named him. Poor kid.

"I missed you," he mumbled into my stomach.

I crouched down, hugging him, and then ruffled his long blonde hair. "I know, buddy. I missed you too."

"Camilla!" Starlit hugged me.

I laughed, wrapping an arm around her. "This is a dope hoodie, bro." She stepped away from me, holding onto my shoulder

"Thanks, but it's not mine."

"Ooh. Do tell." She nudged me, wiggling her eyebrows at me.

"Calm down. It's just a friend's." I smiled, my cheeks heating up.

"I don't believe it. What's her name?"

"Billie."

"Ooh." She grins. "Do you like her?"

"What?" I raised my eyebrows, turning towards her. "She's a girl."

Starlit dat in the grass and I followed suit, sitting beside her. "So," she asked and I didn't answer. She tilted her head forward, looking at me like I was stupid. "I'm not dumb. You think I haven't noticed that you like girls? I knew before you did, bro. Come on."

My eyes widened at that. "You don't care?"

"Of course not. You can't control who you're attracted to. So spill."

"You can't tell a single soul or I'll slit your throat, I swear." I pointed a stern finger at her.

She raised her arms in surrender. "God bless. Yes. I'm not gonna tell anybody."

"Okay. Her name's Billie. She's so fucking pretty and she has the most beautiful ocean blue eyes."

-

"So, where'd you get the black eye?" David asked.

"I got into a fight," I mumbled, hoping he'd go away.

"Really? Why?"

I shrugged. "This girl was spreading rumors about me."

"What was she saying?" he asked, lighting a cigarette.

I thought about it for a minute. I guess I don't care. I didn't give a fuck what he thought about me. "That I'm gay."

He laughed, blowing smoke. "Damn. I don't blame you. I would've beat her ass too."

I waved his smoke out of my face, sitting back.

"How's school?"

"Honestly, I just wish you'd stop talking to me."

"I'm sorry for taking your sister, but I'm still your dad and—"

I scoffed. "No, you're not."

"I'm the closest thing you've got."

"I'd rather have my druggie ass dad than you," I snapped. "At least he doesn't take people's kids."

"She is my daughter and I don't know what your mother told you, but the reason you stopped seeing your dad for so long when you were five was because him and his girlfriend took you. Unfortunately for you, he doesn't seem to care much about you nowadays, otherwise he'd be here, right? Otherwise, you would've never met me."

I ignored his comment about my dad and moved on to something that I knew would make him mad. "Actually, we both know that your name may be on the birth certificate, but we have no idea who her dad actually is."