Chapter 28

I groaned, turning over on my side and opening my eyes. It took me a minute to realize where I was. The fucking hospital. Just what I wanted. Well... at least nobody was dead.

I turned on my other side and my heart clenched at the sight. Billie was sitting in a chair beside my bed. Her shaking bloody fingers were interlocked, resting on her bouncing knee. Her head hung as she hummed to herself.

"Billie," I said but barely any noise came out. I needed some fucking water.

She still looked up. I didn't think she heard me. "Oh, fuck," she breathed. "How you feelin', mama—" She shook her head. "Milla."

I sighed. I was really gonna fucking miss her nicknames.

"Shitty." I smiled.

"Here." She handed me a cup of water. "Guess what?"

I took a drink of the water. "Hm?"

"Look." She held out her arms, showing off bandaids on her inner elbows. "You've got famous blood in you now."

"I feel so special," I said sarcastically.

"You're special all right." She shook her head. "Why the fuck did you call me instead of an ambulance? You lost a lot of blood."

I shrugged. "To be fucking honest, my mom can't afford to pay the bills so I don't know how the fuck she's gonna pay for this. An ambulance would've just been that much more money." I motioned towards my leg. "She's probably pissed, isn't she? Has she been up here?"

"No. I haven't seen her."

I nodded.

There was a knock at the door before it swung open, an officer walking in. He cleared his throat, pulling out a notepad. He sighed, clicking his pen. "Okay. Let's see here." He looked up at me and then back down at his notepad. "Oh. Let me guess, the gun slipped?"

I opened my mouth and then closed it. "Well... no."

"It was a joke." He laughed, turning to Billie. "Can you step out for a minute?"

I didn't know what kinda joke that was supposed to be. In what way was that funny? I didn't even get it.

"Sure." Billie walked out.

I hated hospitals. I hated the smell. I hated the lights. I hated the beds. I hated everything about them.

"So, your name is Camilla Camino Valentina Ramirez?" he asked, completely butchering my name. My name wasn't even hard to pronounce. It was a little long but it was fairly simple.

"Sure."

He looked up at me, his eyebrows knitting together.

"Yes. That's my name."

"Do you have a record?" His pen hovered over his notepad.

Billie stepped back in.

"Hey." He clicked his pen a few times, regaining my attention. "Ever been in trouble with the police?"

"Oh. Uh..." I looked between him and Billie. I didn't really want to say anything in front of her.

"Yeah."

"For what? Are we talking juvy or what?"

I pursed my lips, shrugging. "Oh. No. I was on probation for a year, I had to go to those group meetings or whatever, and I had to get a job."

"Why?"

"Trespassing, vandalism, shoplifting—"

"You know you don't have to answer these questions. You can talk to a lawyer before you make a statement." Billie raised her eyebrows, seemingly trying to tell me to shut up.