Chapter 33

I sat up and looked over at Billie. She was fine. I let out a breath and rubbed my eyes. Fuck this shit.

"Are you okay, baby?" Billie asked, kissing my head and setting a hand on my cheek.

"Yeah. I just had a really... weird dream."

"Wanna talk about it?"

I sat up a little. "Honestly? Not really. It was..." I thought for a minute. "Disturbing. Like, extremely disturbing."

"Your hair's getting long." She ran her fingers through my hair. "Are you gonna cut it again once it start getting longer."

"I don't know. I like the layers so hopefully."

She shrugged. "Do you like it better like this?"

"Yeah. I feel a lot better. I feel like it suits me better."

"Then, yeah. You should ask her. I think it's cute."

"I'm going to."

"And if she says no?" Billie smiled, already knowing what my answer would be.

"I'm still gonna do it." I shrugged. "Better to ask for forgiveness than permission."

"It scares me that that's something you live by." She shook her head.

I shrugged. "I'm still alive."

"Somehow," she mumbled.

"Oh my God." I rolled my eyes. "My mom keeps trying to make me come to church with her."

"It can't be that bad."

"Oh, it can." I nodded. "It definitely can."

"How many people go?"

"It's literally like only fifteen people. There's only about fifteen people that usually go."

"You should let me come."

"You'd regret it."

"I wanna see what's so bad about it."

"You really don't." I shook my head.

-

"What the fuck is that?" I asked as a big, brown bug crawled across the TV screen.

"A water bug," Billie replied, looking up from her phone. "Kill it." She handed me a shoe.

"You kill it!" I handed it back.

"I thought you weren't scared of bugs." She threw the shoe to me.

"Bitch, that ain't a bug."

"You called it a bug though." I gave her the shoe.

"Because you called it a bug!" She handed it back.

"Well, then kill the alien thing!"

"No. You do it!"

"Let's just leave the room," I said calmly.

"I'm not walking past that thing." She shook her head. "Plus, then it'll be in my room somewhere and you're in here almost more than me so how is that gonna help?"

"We're gonna die here."

The water bug flew for a second and we both screamed. It landed back on the TV. "It can fly!" I pulled the cover up over my head, horrified.

"Fuck no!" She got under the cover too. "What do we do?"

"I don't know. Maggie and Patrick are gone, right?"

She nodded.

"We're gonna die here."

"I'm calling Finneas." She clicked on his contact and called him.

"Hello?"

"Finneas, I need you to come help us. There's something extremely dangerous and worrying, and all the bad things in the house."

"What?"

"Just hurry up!" She ended the call.

"You think he's gonna come?" I asked.

"Yeah."

-

"Billie?" Finneas opened the bedroom door.

"Thank fucking God. Finneas, can you kill—where the fuck did it go?"

"What?" I popped my head out from under the cover and looked around.

"What is it?" Finneas asked.

"A water bug—"

"That hoe is an alien," Billie interrupted.

"Are you serious? You had me drive all the way over here over a water bug?"

"Alien," Billie corrected. "And it's very—"

All three of us screamed as it flew into the room. "I'm not killing that!"

"Finneas, don't be useless!"

"I can't help it," he yelled, jumping onto the bed. "I'm calling Claudia." He held his phone up to his ear.

-

"Guys?" Claudia walked into the room.

"It's on the TV!"

"It can fly!"

"It's an alien!"

"What?" She looked between us confusedly and then at the TV. "Are you kidding me?" She picked up a can of Lysol.

"What are you gonna do with that?" Billie asked.

"Spray it."

"That's not gonna work," she warned.

"Yes, it will."

"They bite if they feel—"

Claudia sprayed the bug and it flew towards her. She ran and we all stared at each other, not knowing what to do now. "Fucking bitch," Claudia yelled. "It's dead."

"Did you hit it at least six times," I asked.

"Yes."

I got off the bed and Billie and Finneas followed me, all of us walking into the living room cautiously. I looked over at the dead bug. "Haha," Billie yelled. "And that's what I thought, stupid ass hoe."

"Uh-huh," I joined in. "And that's why—"

"Why the fuck are you guys trash-talking a dead bug?" Claudia asked.

"Well, it was just..." I pointed at it, looking towards Billie for an answer.

"I mean, it was... look at it." She raised her eyebrows. "Are you gonna like... throw it away? It's scaring me."