Chapter Twenty

Walking downstairs the next morning, leaving a fast asleep Juliane up in his bedroom, he sees Éliane drinking coffee in the kitchen.

"Good morning," he nods to her, pouring himself a cup. "How are you this morning?"

"I'm fine. You had a guest?" she asks.

"Yes, Juliane is asleep upstairs," he answers her, getting a few things out of the fridge.

"Isn't she married?"

"Yeah she is."

"I thought you don't mess with married women?"

"I spent the night with Juliane, and yeah she's married but I can't stay away from her," Link shrugs.

"Does she know?"

"I told her I was falling for her yesterday but I planned on telling her this morning."

"I see," Éliane nods.

"What are you thinking?"

Éliane shrugs. "Even if I tell you what I'm thinking, you're not going to listen to me anyway."

"Dis-moi," he responds in French, waiting for her to tell him.

"I just don't think it's a good idea to see her," Éliane answers back in broken English.

"She's worth all of it. Every risk that I'll have to take including if she ends up not wanting to leave Trevor. This morning when I woke up with her next to me, I was happier than I ever have been. I want her to be the person that I wake up to every morning. I want to be the person that makes her smile and I want to be the last person I see every other night. I could consider getting out of all of this if she asked me to, if that's what it took for me to be with her."

"I don't trust that husband."

"I don't either, that's why I need you to reach out to your contact with the CIA. I need to look into him a bit more."

"I will. I don't trust him as far as I can throw him."

Link begins to say something before hearing a noise in the other room. Éliane walks out to the guest room -- Link going back to cooking.

"Good morning," he smiles seeing Juliane walk in. "Do you want some coffee?"

"Yeah that's fine," she nods.

"How did you sleep?" he asks her, pouring a mug.

"What were you and Éliane talking about?" she asks bluntly.

"How long were you there?"

"Like almost ten minutes."

Link walks over. "Juliane, last night I told you then I was falling for you and that wasn't entirely true. I am in love with you, completely," he says, sliding his hands onto her hips. "I want to wake up with you every morning and I want to take care of you and be the reason why you smile. I would truly do anything for you."

"I feel like there's a lot more," she speaks up.

"I keep thinking why Trevor was being so distant from you after what happened because if that were me, I wouldn't ever be able to leave you alone and I feel a bit apprehensive of him. I don't trust him. So I asked Éliane if she could contact someone for me," he says, keeping eye contact with her. "I think he knows something he isn't telling you."

Juliane steps back. "What do you mean?"

"I mean, I feel like he knows something and is trying to make sure you don't find out. Please Juliane, you have to trust me."

She swallows hard.

"Juliane, I love you and I just want to protect you."

"I don't know," she shrugs.

"You don't know what?" he asks, taking her hands.

"That Trevor knows something."

"Will you be okay with me finding out?"

"I don't think he has anything to do with Link."

"Are you sure?" he sighs.

I know Trevor," she shakes her head.

"Okay," he nods, walking back to the stove.

"I think after I eat I'm going to head back."

"Did I do something wrong?"

"I just need to go back."

"Okay," he nods, finishing up cooking.