Chapter Forty-Eight

"Hey Selma," Link greets as soon as the apartment door opens.

"Link?" she asks surprised, stepping out and shutting the door behind her. "What are you doing here?" she looks around.

"She's not here is she?" Link lowers his voice, looking around as well.

"What? Who? Éliane? No, she's in prison," she shakes her head.

"Selma, Éliane escaped."

Selma's eyes become wide. "Wha...what?"

"There was an ambush and she escaped. We have no idea where she's at," he says, pulling out his phone. "They killed all the men except for one who was able to call 911 and get rescued."

Selma sits down, trying not to pass out. "You think you know someone," she whispers almost to herself. Link stepping in shutting the door behind him.

"So she hasn't stopped by here or stayed here recently?"

Selma shakes her head. "No, I won't allow her back in. I changed the locks," she says, shuddering in place.

Link nods. "Do you happen to know where she might be hiding? Places she likes to frequent, hang out? I thought I knew where she would be," he says, sitting down on the couch with her.

Selma turns to face him. "And you think that criminal would be here and I would just let her in?"

"Love makes us do some crazy things Selma."

She smirks but agrees. "She's probably at the old depot down on Lebanon Street."

Link looks up, "the old train depot?"

Selma turns and nods. "That's the only place I can think of. We used to go there a lot and look at the stars. It's our spot. It's a good thinking spot."

Link slides his hand on her shoulder. "Thank you Selma. If there is anything you need, please do not hesitate to let me know," Link consoles, squeezing her shoulder and standing.

"Link," she says, rising too.

"Yeah?"

"Have you talked to that Trevor guy recently?"

He shakes his head. "I haven't, why?"

"I think he's been lying this whole time. I think he might still be involved."

Link feels his jaw clench. "I'll take care of it."