Chapter Thirty-One

After more stressful hours, the doctor walks into the waiting room where Juliane and Link's brother Ali is, informing them of the update on Link.

"He's in critical but stable condition. We were able to remove the second bullet completely but there is damage to the tissue around his heart so he's going to have to take it easy for quite some time. A nurse will be by once he wakes up so you guys can visit," he nods, walking out of the room.

"He's going to be okay," Ali smiles at Juliane, pulling her in for a hug.

"He's asked me to move in with him," she blurts out to his brother.

"I know. He told me he was going too. Do you want to?"

"I'm clearly divorcing Trevor. He's more than likely going to jail."

"Link told me that he's going into a witness protection program, in exchange for his testimony."

"That Trevor is?"

"Link told me that he arranged it."

"He's nicer than me," Juliane mumbles.

"He's nicer than most of us."

After a while, a nurse rejoins them. "He's awake. Whenever you guys are ready to see him."

"One at a time?" Juliane asks.

"I think he can handle two," she smiles sweetly to both.

"You ready?"

Juliane takes the lead, walking down the hallway and into the room. Link now in a hospital gown, the blankets over him.

"Hey," he looks at them a little groggy.

"Hey," she walks over, sliding her hand in his and kissing his forehead softly.

"I'm not doing that, but good to see you," Ali smirks.

"I hope you're ignoring him," Link counters back.

"How are you feeling?"

"Like hell, but I feel better that you're here."

Ali rolls his eyes.

"Don't start that," Link looks over at his brother. "Are you tired?" he asks her.

"A little bit but I'm okay," she answers, pulling a chair closer to his bed.

"Look bud, I'm going to head out, it's good to see you're okay," Ali walks over, shaking his brother's hand and giving Juliane a hug before heading out.

"You can climb in here with me if you want."

"I don't want to move you or anything. I'm small. I can make use of this chair."

"Alright," he nods. "Do you want me to get you a hotel room? Or a more comfortable chair?"

"Link..." she looks at him.

"What?"

"I'm fine."

"Yeah yeah."

"Get some rest."

"I will eventually. I feel like I've been asleep for days."