Chapter Eighteen

"Did you find anything out about that guy yet?" the text says the next morning from Trevor. Sighing, she dials his number. "Hey, any news?" he picks up on the second ring.

"Why are you so obsessed with this?" she replies.

"Do you not understand why I don't trust people?"

"We don't know who broke into our house," she says softly. "We couldn't have predicted that."

"Yeah, but I can find the person that did it. Juliane don't you get it? People don't deserve trust."

"And tell me how you're going to find the person Trevor? They left nothing behind."

"Because I have to. It's my job as the father of our child."

"Quit obsessing over it and just live. You're stressing your life away trying to find answers that you can't possibly find. It's been two years babe," she says softly, trying not to cry.

"How can you just ignore what happened?"

"I'm not ignoring what happened. I just know that I can't change the outcome no matter how bad I want to. She's not coming back Trevor. I want the Trevor back that I married."

She hears him sigh. "Juliane, you know I can't stop looking into what happened. What do you want me to do?"

"Stop looking," she says softly.

"I can't do that. even if I do, I will never be able to stop thinking about it."

"I have to go," Juliane sighs.

"Alright, I love you."

"I love you too," she hangs up, setting the phone down and running her hands over her face.

"I'm sorry honey," her mom walks in. "Do you want to go out or something?"

"You, out?" Juliane smirks.

"Whatever you want honey."

"Yeah that's fine."

"Where do you want to go?"

"You pick," Juliane watches her mom, getting up from the barstool.

"Let's go shopping."

"I will not object to that," Juliane nods.

The girls spend most of their day shopping and decide to go out for a drink later, sitting at the bar in town, the car full of shopping bags. They look up and see Link walk in, wearing just jeans, a hat and a t-shirt. Her mom waves him over.

"Hello there," Link walks over, winking at Juliane.

"Oh hey, what are you doing here?" Juliane asks.

"I was dropping some stuff off at the restaurant and was going to pop in and have a beer," he says, sitting down. "So, what did you ladies do today?"

"We shopped till we dropped."

"Sounds like you two had a good time. If you would like a second opinion I would be more than happy to help."

"Second opinion?" Juliane looks at him.

"Of what you picked out. I'm sure it all looks perfect on you though," Link smiles. Jan pretending not to listen as Link tries, and fails, to flirt with her daughter. "Alright, I probably should get going. I've got dinner to make," he stands and hugs both of them. "You're welcome to come by if you'd like," he shrugs.

"Well, what are you having?" her mom smiles.

"Burgers and salad," Link answers.

"That's what you were just saying that you were in the mood for honey," Jan looks at her daughter. "You should go, I'll meet your dad for dinner."

"You really don't have to if you don't want to."

"You know what," Juliane smiles, "yeah sure."