Chapter Fourteen

Putting the car in park, she climbs out of her car and walks up the porch -- all windows around the house open. Juliane is greeted by her favorite K-9, Bella, giving her the scratches she's looking for before walking into the living room.

"Hey," Link turns around, wiping his hands off on a towel. "You look gorgeous as always."

"Thanks," she responds, feeling her cheeks become pink. Not sure why she's having this reaction.

"Did you want a glass of wine or something?"

"Wine sounds good," she nods -- following him into the kitchen. She watches the way his muscles flex when he opens the pantry, an old reclaimed door that is tucked into a natural stone wall and most of the contents inside is food but there is one side that is mostly wine and beer.

"White or red?" Link asking the important question.

"Um red," she smiles, watching him retrieve the bottle and opening it. "Damn, is this straight out of France?"she asks, taking the glass.

"Oh yeah, Éliane is a bit of a wine enthusiast so you can thank her for that one."

"Well it's very good."

"I will be sure to let her know you liked it," he nods, leaning against the counter. The smell of dinner wafting through the air. "So, I can't say I'm not happy to notice this but I see you decided to come over alone."

"Yeah probably because Trevor is on his way back to Arizona."

"Is everything okay?"

"He decided to get vasectomy behind my back before he came here," she chuckles, not going into too many details.

"Wow," Link's eyes go wide. "Well, that's kind of a dick move. I guess I should have offered you something stronger than wine."

"Yeah oh well," she shrugs. She takes a sip and then feels his arm around her, pulling her against him.

"I'm so sorry."

She's a little surprised. "I'm okay."

"Oh okay," he says, slowly letting go of her, his hands lingering on her hips for a second. "You know it's okay to not be okay, right?"

"I know," she nods -- a small smile forming on her lips.

"Alright then, now that I kinda made an ass out of myself, let's eat."

Juliane nods, watching him step away and pulling the roast out of the oven, grabbing a couple of plates and dishing up the roast beef, potatoes and vegetables. "This looks awesome and smells great."

"Thanks," he smiles as they sit down and dig in. "My mom always felt like it was important for me to know how to cook."

"Your mom sounds like a smart woman," she smiles, taking another sip of her wine.

"She was. She was a brilliant woman."

Juliane notices the past tense, but doesn't question it. Enjoying the delicious food.