Chapter Five

Her eyes flutter open, the voices of Link and her mom making their way around the house. Juliane looks up at the ceiling, staring and listening to their conversation. Link dropping off items and then asking her mom small questions about herself. Mostly small talk. Once she hears Link's truck pull away, she makes her way downstairs.

"You just missed Link," her mother beams, unpacking items in the kitchen.

"Yeah I heard him and you too," she smirks, walking straight to the coffee pot.

"Well I think he might have a bit of a crush on you," her mom smiles at her.

"And you think that why?" Juliane asks, leaning back against the counter -- taking a sip of her coffee.

"Well that man moved into town about five years ago and had just about everyone in town flirting with him and you would be the first person he's show any interest in. We were all starting to think he might be gay."

Juliane chuckles. "Were you one of the ones flirting with him mother?"

"Like I said, learn to have some fun."

"You're pretty restricted when you're married mother," she winks at her.

"That only depends on how much fun the person you're married to is."

"He's fun," she says, talking about Trevor. "Or he was before everything happened."

"I know honey," Jan gives her daughter a hug.

She hugs her mom back. "He just really isn't the same. He's gone for work all the time," Juliane sighs.

"You don't think he's..."

"Oh god no mom. He knows better. I just don't think he likes being home because of what happened," she sighs.

"Have you guys talked to anyone about it? Like a counselor or something like that?"

"No, I've mentioned it to him but he said that will make him seem like a crazy person," Juliane rolls her eyes.

"Well maybe you guys should see someone. It was a traumatic experience."

"I know mom, I know," she trails off, downing the rest of her coffee.