Chapter Forty-One

They both look up as the elevator doors open, Trevor being escorted by a few police officers. She looks up, Juliane immediately filled with fury.

"You son of a bitch!" she yells, standing up and walking over. An agent able to grab her before she hits him.

"Juliane," Link says, sliding his arm around her.

She's fighting to get out of his arms. "How could you!"

"I'm so sorry," he says. The officers taking him into another room.

"Link, are you calm enough to handle this?" Dan walks over.

"I can't leave her."

"I'm okay," Juliane nods.

Link nods before walking into the room, shutting the door behind him. "What a complete piece of shit you are."

"I want to talk to Juliane," Trevor says softly.

Link can't help but laugh. "There is no way you are even looking at her ever again."

"I meant what I said you know," he looks up at Link.

"Trevor, you could have been honest about everything and you've done nothing but lie still. It's time to tell the fucking truth."

"I did call Éliane the night my daughter was killed," Trevor says softly. "We were supposed to be gone. They were supposed to come and raid the place, make it look like a robbery and we were supposed to get insurance money so I can pay them off. But, Juliane wanted to come home because Morgan was getting fussy and I tried to keep her from coming home. We got home, saw the mess. I went upstairs to see if they took the money in the safe and I must have spooked them and they shot her..." he says quietly, tears filling his eyes. "The past two work trips I haven't been working. I've been trying to get this mess all situated so it wouldn't come to this. I didn't want her to go to Arizona and coincidently, her mother knew you and you were affiliated with Éliane."

"So are you telling me she wasn't supposed to take the baby and shoot you instead?"

"Take the baby? What? No!" he shakes his head. "She was just supposed to shoot me. Like in the leg or something like that. Wait, she said she was supposed to take the baby?"

"Yes, she told me it was arranged that she would shoot you and take her," Link sits up straighter.

"Well, she's a liar. They weren't supposed to touch her."

"How did you communicate all this with them? Phone? E-mail?"

"I would buy a new burner phone each week. I told Juliane I was spending money on lottery tickets."

"Do you have any proof that what you're saying is true?"

The room is silent for a few minutes till Link sees his eyes shoot wide.

"There's a camera in the teddy bear..." Trevor mumbles.

"And that proves that she wasn't supposed to take the baby?"

Trevor sighs. "There's a mic in it but I don't remember a whole lot from that night. The bear is in the storage container right outside of Phoenix."

"Alright, I'll go get it and try to figure this shit out. Trevor, I really had a lot of faith that you were getting your shit together. If you're lying to me, please let me know now."

"Everything I told you was true Link."

"Alright, sit tight," Link gets up, walking out of the room and over to Juliane. "So either Éliane or Trevor are lying and I'm really hoping it's Éliane."

"What did he say?" Juliane stands.

"Same as before," he sighs. "That they were supposed to throw the house so he could make an insurance claim."

"So what do you mean someone is lying?"

"Yeah, he said there's something that might prove what he's saying in your storage unit."

"Oh my god," Juliane says, looking up at him, "the bear. I forgot all about it."

"Can we go get it?"