Chapter Twenty-Three

Making her way downstairs a few hours later, she walks into the kitchen -- her mom making dinner.

"Link wanted us to tell you that he will call you later. He had to pick up the dog."

"Okay, thank you," she sits down, sitting at the barstool.

"He also told us about his actual job."

"He did?" her eyes becoming wide.

"Yes, he apparently told us because he is in love with you and said that he would do anything for you. So he wanted us to know about him."

Juliane sighs. "He's been looking into Trevor."

"After he told us, I had a feeling he might have been. Did he find anything?"

Juliane nods.

"Honey, I'm so sorry."

"I'm going home this weekend and I'm confronting him."

"And you're sure that's a good idea?"

"At this point, I don't care," she shakes her head.

"Do you think you should bring Link with you?"

"It'll be okay."

Jan eyes her daughter. Her phone ringing.

"Hello?" she answers.

"Hey, how are you?" she hears Link.

"I'm okay. You?"

"I'm better now."

"Well that's good."

"Juliane, I know what I told you about earlier is a lot of information and very difficult to hear but I'm worried that you might do something that could get you hurt."

"Link, I can handle it."

"He works with some very dangerous people. If he wanted to do something to you, they could make it happen. These people sell people on the black market. I don't think it's a good idea for you to go anywhere near him until I have time to deal with his associates."

"Link I have to say something."

"You can say anything you want to me."

"No, I have say something too Trevor."

"Oh, well let me get him for you. Let me bring him to you so you can say anything you want to him on your terms."

"Link, I have to do this myself," she says, silent for a second. "I'm telling him about you and I...."

"What are you going to tell him?"

"That we've been seeing each other. That I can't take being with a liar...all kinds of stuff."

"Okay," Link sighs. "Is there anyway that you will at least let me go with you?"

"He's not going to talk to me if you're there and I say we've been sleeping together."

"So I won't be there physically. I will stay at a hotel."

Juliane sighs, but doesn't open her mouth.

"Juliane, I would never be able to forgive myself if something ever happened to you. I have spent the past week wishing that I would wake up with you again. I just found you. I can't lose you," Link says.

"Fine. You can come but you're in the hotel."

Link instantly relaxes. "Thank you, that's all I ask. You don't even need to see me when I'm there if you don't want to."

"I didn't say that," she says softly.

"I know you didn't, but I'm just letting you know that I have no expectations that I am there to make sure you're okay."

"Okay."

"Can I come over?" he asks after a few seconds.

"If you like baked spaghetti for dinner," she answers, smiling softly.

"That's my favorite version of spaghetti. Would your parents mind if I brought the dog?"

"No," she smiles.

"I'll be by soon."

About ten minutes later, she hears a knock on the door and walks over, opening it and seeing man and dog. Bella on a harness. Bella can't get through the door without scratches first. The dog trying to climb on Juliane, licking her face. Link picks the K-9 companion up, cradling her like a baby.

"I apologize for that. She clearly thinks she can do whatever she wants," Link smirks.

"She can," Juliane nods, standing up and scratching behind her ears once more.

"I brought something," he says, setting the dog back down. He picks the bag up off the front porch.

"What is it?" Juliane asks, the dog disappearing down the hall and into the kitchen where her parents are.

She watches as Link pulls out a bottle of wine and a couple bundles of flowers. "For you and your mom."

"Thank you. You didn't have to do that."

"I know. I wanted to, plus where I come from when someone makes you dinner it's polite to bring something."

"Well thank you."

"You're very welcome."

They sit down and talk while they eat, her parents asking him a lot of questions about where he's from and his family. Her parents even more intrigued by him. Link insists on helping with the dishes.

"Oh Link you don't have to do that," her mom smiles.

"I know, I want too. It makes me feel like I'm back home with my family."

"I'll help," Juliane stands, leaving her parents in the dining room.

"You don't have to do that," Link looks back at her.

"Nope, I'm helping."

"Yes ma'am," he says, walking over to the sink and begins washing, handing Juliane the dishes to try. "Thank you for having me for dinner."

"You're welcome. Mom did all the work though."

"Well it was very good," he smiles, handing her another dish. "Plus, I think Bella is enjoying herself."

"She won't want to leave," Juliane chuckles.

"I always feel bad when I have to leave her with someone for a few days but I can understand why she wouldn't want to leave," he smiles, drying his hands. "I missed you."

Juliane leans up and kisses him softly on the lips.

"Let's go check on Bella to make sure she hasn't gone into a coma from all of the scratches," he smirks.