Chapter Three

A much needed getaway is what she needed. Juliane closes her eyes, taking a deep breath and letting it out, breathing in the dry Arizona heat. Since being in town, her old friends have tried getting her to come out, figures maybe she should.

She walks into the small brewery, her eyes focusing on the two pool tables, some darts and an outdoor patio with corn hole and a giant Jenga game set up. Hearing Breanna's voice, she looks over and sees her leaning over the marble bartop -- ordering some beers. Her hand breaks out in a wave.

"Hey," Juliane walks over, sliding her arms around her childhood friend, engulfing her in a bear hug.

"Hey, god it's so good to see you," she feels a squeeze back. "Which beer do you want? The first round is on me," Breanna coos, waiting for Juliane to answer. Juliane realizes she misses her friend so much.

"Michelob Ultra is fine," Juliane answers.

The bartender walks away to retrieve the drinks. "So how's it feel being back in Arizona?"

"It feels good," Juliane smiles. "I miss the heat," she chuckles.

"I'll be honest, I get kinda sick of it sometimes but Kyle wants to go to Alaska on our honeymoon so I guess I shouldn't complain just yet," Breanna chuckles, handing Juliane her beer.

"Yeah, don't complain yet," she nods. The two girls head out to the patio, Juliane smirks at the man across the way holding a set of horseshoes.

"Hello again Juliane," Link chuckles.

"Well small world."

"I guess that's what happened in a small town," Breanna laughs. "I forgot your mom is one of Link's biggest fans."

"Your mom does not have a great poker face," Link smirks.

"Oh trust me, I know."

"My horseshoes partner just had to leave," Breanna announces. "Do you want to help me kick these guys asses?" she turns to Juliane.

"Oh yeah definitely," Juliane nods, taking a sip of her beer and sidling up to Link. Breanna and Kyle walking to the other end.

"I have to warn you," Link begins. "I practice this at home, so I am pretty good at this."

"Mhm, we'll see," she smirks.

They begin playing, all four being crap at it as they keep going, having a great time regardless and joking around. Link goes to throw, Juliane putting her hand out to mess with him, Link missing completely -- Juliane bursts out laughing. Link takes that approach as well, trying to do things to distract her even though they are not keeping score. Once finishing up, they walk over to a table.

"Jul, have you been to Link's farm yet?" Breanna asks.

"I have not seeing how I just met the guy today," she shakes her head.

"Well you will be eventually because that's where we're going to get married," Breanna smiles at Kyle.

"Yeah, I was just telling these guys that I'm having a few people over on Sunday, you're welcome to come by if you want."

"Yeah sure, if I'm still here."

"How long have you been in town?" Link asks.

"A few days."

"You're already leaving? Your mom has been so happy since you came into town," Breanna exclaims.

"I know. Trevor's been calling me non-stop."

"Then tell him to get his ass out here," she smiles, always being direct with Juliane.

"You know how he is though."

"He's so high strung. Maybe he could use the break from everything."

"Sounds like his loss, but I have a small apartment on my farm if you wanted to invite him," Link speaks up.

"I mean I can try. Right now he is out of town for work so I don't understand why he wants me back home."

Breanna smirks. "Yeah, you're not leaving. You have to at least help me with some wedding stuff. I'll be honest, he's useless," she nods towards her fiancé Kyle.

Kyle answering her back with an eye roll.

"Trevor was like that too," Juliane chuckles at the memory. Trevor no help at all with the planning either.

They sit around and talk as the sun begins to go down, the lights coming on the patio -- music softly playing. Breanna and Kyle get up to dance. Juliane smiles out at her friends, their intimate touches and careless laughs, remembering the way her and Trevor used to be.

"So are married women allowed to dance with strangers they barely know?" she hears Link asks.

"I've definitely never been asked that," she says, taking another sip of her beer.

"Alright, let me rephrase, would you like to dance?" he asks.

"Sure," she nods, standing up and waiting for him.

She watches as he finishes his beer and slides his hand around her waist and leading her to the dance floor, his hand just barely sliding on her lower back. "I have to warn you, I also practice dancing at home so I might be just a little better at it than horseshoes."

"That's not saying much," she smirks as they begin to move to the music.

"That is true. I should probably stop trying to lead with that as a pick up line," Link chuckles.

She slides her arms around her neck. "Oh, so you're trying to pick me up huh?"

"As much as I would very much so enjoy to, my mom did teach me not to date married women, or maybe it was not to flirt with married women," he says, acting like he's trying to remember. His hands sliding down on her hips. "That was a long time ago actually so I might not remember exactly."

"Your mom sounds like a smart woman."

"Very," he nods, getting closer to one another. Glancing over to see Kyle and Breanna making out. "Now I remember why it's so awkward going out with them sometimes," Link smiles.

"Yeah, they always make things weird. How do you know them?" she asks.

"I deliver vegetables to a few houses around town, including your parents and I was delivering to Breanna and Kyle's one time and ended up helping Kyle work on his car."

"And a friendship sparked?"

"Yeah, Kyle doesn't really know much about actually working on a car and I think he was trying to impress Breanna after they moved in together by showing her how handy he is, so I helped."

"Sounds like Kyle," she chuckles.

"You know you really have a beautiful smile."

"Thank you," Juliane blushes.

"Anytime," he nods. Kyle and Breanna waving the two over. "Come on, let's go see what these two want."

"We're going to go get a bite to eat, do you guys want to come?" Kyle asks.

"Hungry?" Link looks at her.

"Yeah sure."