Chapter Thirty-Five

"Now are you going to tell me?" she asks later that evening, hugging him from behind and resting her head on his back. Jan leaving about an hour before.

"Trevor emailed me. Éliane has been searching for him."

"Why has she been looking for him? What did he say?" she asks, pulling away.

"I found out a few months ago that Éliane has been working as an enforcer for the same organization that Trevor was stealing money from. My best guess would be that they want revenge for him testifying against them. They've probably sent her to take him out. I didn't want to worry you so that's why I didn't tell you about what she was up to."

"Well, I want to know," she steps back, crossing her arms. "My marriage might have went to shit, but I don't wish Trevor dead."

"I know which is why I'm not looking forward to telling you this but I think I'm going to have to find Éliane first, before she finds Trevor."

"And how do you think you're going to find her?"

"I know who Éliane cares about and I know who would want her to straighten her shit out which means I would have to leave and once I start trying to follow her, it puts you in danger."

"Who's that?" she asks quizzically.

"Éliane is married. Her wife is probably not speaking to her after what happened but still don't doubt that she's tried to get in touch with her."

"Does her wife also know that she's a flirtatious piece of crap?" Juliane looks at him, serious look on her face.

"Oh yeah, they've always had problems."

"Did I tell you she tried hitting on me?"

"When did that happen?"

"When you were looking to find Trevor, the first time."

Link takes a deep breath. "I don't think she anticipated me coming back."

"Like she put her hands on me," she continues, "but I stopped it real fast and before she could say anything you guys knocked on the door."

The muscles in his jaw clench. "I regret leaving you with her every day since then."

"I don't think she anticipated you making it through her shooting you either."

"Yeah, to be honest, I wasn't sure I was going to either."

She sighs a little and starts to put some of the decorations away, feeling Link's eyes on her.

"How many kids you want? I mean, we do own a farm," he smirks.

"This is true," she can't help but laugh.

"I'm thinking three kids, four dogs, three goats, two cats and about a dozen chickens."

"So what you're saying is the kid trying starts as soon as we get married?" she asks, the two planning on not wasting time, getting married in a couple months.

"Why not? I've waited my whole life to meet you. I don't see any point in waiting for anything anymore."

"Mm, you're so cheesy, but I don't care."

"Plus, if you think I can't keep my hands off of you now, imagine when I know you're not on birth control anymore."

"I'll be fertile myrtle," she grins.

"Sounds good to me."