Chapter Forty-Two

They retrieve the bear and make it back to the house, taking out the video as he pops it into his computer. He turns and looks at Juliane.

"Are you sure you want to watch it?" he asks concerned.

She nods. "Yeah. I need to watch it."

"Okay," he nods, turning back in his chair and hitting play.

For the first twenty minutes it's silent, nothing happening. To save time, Link fast forwards a little. He stops the video when they see movement and hear inaudible noises. They watch as the crib gets moved, not being able to make out the assailant yet. The perp taking down the photo behind the wall.

"There was a safe behind her crib..." she says softly.

"Jesus Christ," Link mumbles.

They keep watching, Éliane coming into clear view and another gentleman. They watch and listen to them rustle through everything and then seeing them spooked when Trevor's voice comes over the mic, but they don't see him. They can see the top of Morgan's head.

Trevor: "You guys did a number downstairs."

Éliane: "You know I was thinking of something else."

Trevor: "What?"

Éliane: "What if I shoot you like planned but take baby? Get the money, we get the money. You get her back unharmed."

Trevor: "Are you out of your mind, no that's not happening. That's not the plan."

Éliane: "So you're not going with the plan?"

Trevor: "That's not the plan."

Éliane: "Fine, then I just shoot her."

The next moment is a blur as they both hear a gunshot ring out on the camera, the flash of the fire from the gun lightening up the view -- no baby crying but they hear the moment Trevor screams out for her. Juliane closes her eyes, that moment reliving in her brain. Link watches as Juliane runs across the monitor, shutting the laptop.

"Juliane, I'm so sorry."

"I'm gonna be sick," she says softly, walking to the bathroom.

He let's her go, knocking on the door a few minutes later. "Babe?" he knocks, stepping in. He sees her brushing her teeth. "Do you want to talk about it?"

She shakes her head no.

"Okay, what can I do?"

"Nothing," she shakes her head. "Just take that in and get everything taken care of. I don't want that video in here anymore."

"Okay, I'll go now."