CHAPTER 4

We are bound to meet wrong things for wrong things are bound to meet but, when things go wrong, don’t be wrong, let things be wrong. – Ernest Agyemang Yeboah

After a month Thandeka finally allowed me to work the night shift. She was always like ‘a princess needs her beauty sleep so I don’t want you working at night’, dramatic if you ask me because night shift is in my contract. Honesty living with them has been a blast. They are very cool people although sometimes they can be busy as hell. We do eat out sometimes and they have showed me some of the businesses that they own in Gauteng. How I wish I could live with them forever but all good things must come to an end. Our friendship has strengthened to such an extent that we tell each other almost everything. Yeah, that’s how close we are. I also know that they are both single, for what reason I don’t know.

On this day, I wake up, freshen up and deal with my no so obedient hair. I wear my denim dungaree, white vest and white all-star boot. I take my bag and head downstairs where I find Zethu and she hands me my breakfast. I eat fast and head to Zumba Hair Beauty at Braamfontein, phela the girl is working so the girl might as well do what other working people do. I decide on doing tribal cornrows, nails and wax. I pay up and leave. I must say I look and feel beautiful. I take a few selfies and post them on Instagram and on WhatsApp status. Londeka quickly steals one of them and also post them on Instagram and on WhatsApp status saying: ‘big cc slaying ko Sandton’ gosh this girl is too much. Anyways I decide on dining at McDonald’s so I head there, order my Big Mac, eat and head back home. When I enter the living room Vuyo is sitting on one of the couches busy on his phone.

Me: “afternoon Mr. Sthole” he looks up and looks like he’s seen a ghost.
Him: “these pictures don’t do you any justice. Damn you look hot.” My inner diva does some voshos. He notices me.
Me: “well thank you Vuyo. I am going to rest now. I need to be fresh for my shift.” I don’t wait for him to respond. I quickly head to my room to take my afternoon nap.
At night we eat supper then I get dressed for work, by this time I have received my uniform (which is just a t-shirt with the club name and logo and it has my name written at the front). I go downstairs and find Vuyo watching TV in the lounge.

Me: “I’m off to work Vuyo.”

He turn his back and waves at me. I get out and drive to work. When I get there it is fully packed, mind you it is a Saturday night. I start my shift. By 12:00 am it is so packed that I can’t move around. TDK advises that I stay behind the bar and just serve the customers from there because there is no telling to what they can do when they are drunk. When my lunch hour comes, (lol we say lunch hour even at night), I go at the locker room, grab my phone out and go to sit at an empty VIP table in the corner. I check my social media accounts for anything interesting. While I am browsing through instagram some drunk guy with a huge belly comes to sit next to me.

Him: hey beautiful, how much for a whole night?

I am so confused right now, I have no clue of what he is talking about so I keep quiet and continue being busy with my phone.

Him: “playing hard to get I see.” God his breath reeks of alcohol.

As he say this he places his hand on my thigh, tonight I am wearing black shorts. I remove his hand and shift away from him. He shifts even closer suffocating me in such a way that I can’t breathe. I shout for help but no one can hear me because the music is fucking too loud. I don’t know why because I left him at home but I just dial Vuyo’s number. He picks up on the first ring.

Him: “hey, you already on lunch break? Where are you?”

Me: “at the VIP area on the corner table, some guy is harassing me”

I hang up, the guy is like possessed. He keeps on touching me, wanting to kiss me, pressing me to the corner until I can’t take it anymore, I cry until Vuyo comes with two bouncers, they take the guy outside I don’t know what happens to him and I don’t really care. I can’t stop crying so Vuyo picks me up and takes me to his office. He tries giving me some water but I don’t want anything, I just want to go home. I try talking, although my voice is hoarse.