CHAPTER 16

*************
Scars have the strange power to remind us that our past is real. – Cormac McCarthy
************

I wake up with a throbbing headache. I check the time on the wall clock and it is 20:05. I go to the bathroom and drank painkillers. I then take a quick shower, dry and Lotion myself. I wear my work uniform and put on some light make-up. I pack my wallet and lip balm in my backpack. I go downstairs to the kitchen. I open the warmer and find some KFC hot wings. I take them out and eat them while drinking milk.

When I am done I place the dishes in the sink, take my phone which is on the kitchen counter, search for the GTI keys, find them and I go to the garage. I drive out and pass by drive thru KFC to order a latte. I arrive at work and start my shift. It is jam packed so I just work behind the counter with Lebo and Aviwe. When my break comes I go to the locker room and just listen to music. I go back to work and Nasty C is on stage, ohh that’s why it is so packed. When he is done he goes to the VIP section with his crew, I go to take their order and serve them. One of his crew members just had to speak.

Him: “mamasita how about you join us?”

Me: “some of us have to work sir”

Him: “come on don’t be uptight, I’m sure you’re dying to chill with us.”

Me: “sadly I’m not, if you need anything please shout.”

I leave them and continue with my shift. When my shift is done I drive thru KFC once again and buy a latte and drive home. When I get to the driveway Vuyo and Thandeka are there stretching before their morning jog. I hoot when I drive past them and go to park the car in the garage. When I get in through the kitchen door Vuyo is seating at the bar stool.

Me: “morning and can we please talk when I wake up?” I say as walk pass him, he grabs my wrist and turn me to face him. He kisses me and I giggle. “I haven’t brushed my teeth yet”
Him: “and I don’t care. I love you and I’m here for you.”

Me: “I know and we will talk when I’m ready. Don’t keep Thah waiting.”
Him: “yes ma’am, I will see you later” he kisses my cheek and jog outside. I go to my room, take a quick shower, go back to my room and it is lights out.

LONDEKA
Hey, Londeka Xolile Mnguni here, the second born of Ntokozo Mnguni and Nokukhanya Mnguni (MaNdlovu). I’m currently doing my first year at the University of Zululand, I’m doing a degree in Education Foundation Phase. Being a teacher isn’t something I dreamed of becoming one day. But you know our society believes that you have to study for a qualification where there isn’t scarcity of jobs, but hello we have qualified teachers who are staying at home with their degrees. I have always wanted to study events planning and management but mom put her foot down. She, however, failed with Lwandeka because my sister can be stubborn as hell and she believes that everyone should be allowed to study for their dream job even though there is scarcity of jobs in that field. So I will try and get her on my side because I wanna study events planning and management here in JHB.

I have 1 best friend named Lindiwe Mazibuko. Her home is here in Johannesburg, Soweto. I promised to visit her since I’m also here. I have +6 boyfriends, some I don’t know their names so I just call them “babe” to be on the safe side and they never caught me cheating if that’s what you’re wondering. I’m a very skilled cheater so relax.

The thing about my uncle is that he used to beat us up every chance he got when we were young, all of us. My mom worked at PMB so she would leave Monday in the morning and come back Friday evening so we used to live with uncle Thabani and his wife in my mother’s house. We never told mom about the abuse because we didn’t want to worry her, but we have scars to prove his abuse. He would beat us up just because we looked like our father. At that time mom and dad were not married but were still dating, he too lived in PMB and visited us every now and then. This one day mom came back from work with dad and told us that she found a job in our hometown and dad was moving in.