CHAPTER 41

Audrey decides to discharge me after 2 days. Thandeka fetches me from the hospital and drives me home. I am still heartbroken about the situation between Vuyo and I especially after the last time he came to see me when he didn’t comfort me, he just left me like that without even knowing whether I was okay or not. I guess I have to accept that he is not himself and have to wait till aunt Thembelihle comes back with ikhambi. She left the day I woke up in and she promised to be back as soon as she gets it. The message from dad was sending her to get ikhambi for Vuyo. The spell he is under is powerful and if we rush curing him we might lose him, meaning he might die. Babomdala also left with aunty.

We finally arrive at home and find Thabi, Noluh, Londy and Dakota there. Dakota is a great girl and a good friend to Londy. She is open and friendly and her personality is the same as Londy’s. I have had dinner with her family once and they are a very cool bunch. It’s just that her aunt is a bitch but I really don’t care about what she thinks. We sit down and Rain serves us drinks and snacks.

Me: “so is everything set for the wedding?”
Thabi: “we postponed it. It will be happening on the 22nd, next Saturday.”
Me: “but why?”
Noluh: “we couldn’t rejoice with you in the hospital. Plus Thabi wanted you to sing at the wedding.”
Dakota: “you can sing?” she asks excitedly.
Thabi: “she is one of the greatest singers I have ever known. I don’t know why she never pursued a career as an artist.”
Me: “I loved agriculture more. Singing is just a hobby of mine.”
Dakota: “so you are going to sing at the wedding?”
Me: “for Thabi I’d do anything.”

After some time they all leave and I breathe out loud. Not that I don’t appreciate their support and their concern, it’s just that sometimes you need to be alone with your thoughts. I head to my room and lie in my bed facing the ceiling. I am back to being single and lonely but now it’s much better because I have my own house and cars and a stable job. At least if Vuyo doesn’t come back I’d be able to say I benefitted from him. I decide to stop mopping around and wake up. I wear my boots and head to the stables. As I approach I can see that there are 4 horses. Where did the other 2 come from? I go to Senzo, the one who takes care of the horses, he has some serious explaining to do.

Me: “hi Senzo.”
Him: “hey boss. It’s good to have you back. We prayed for your speedy recovery because this place is dull without you.”
Me: “thank you. Now what’s happening here? Where did the other 2 come from?”
Him: “sisi Thandeka brought them here a week ago. She said it’s a surprise.” Guys Thandeka is the shit shame, friendship goals. I have to buy her a gift soon.
Me: “ohh okay. Last time I checked Lioness was not well. How is she now?” yeah I know Thandeka is the Lioness that’s why I named one of the horses after her, she doesn’t know it yet.
Him: “she is fine now. More than healthy.”
Me: “okay. When I have recovered fully I will take her for a ride. Now let me head to the plantation.” He nods and I head to the plantation. I find the workers working and chatting in between. They look so happy and calm and in their element. The farm manager spots me and rushes to hug me. When they all see me they also come and bombard me with hugs. I have developed a strong relationship with them in such a few weeks so we are all pretty close and more like a family. Hlumisa, the farm manager, speaks.

Hlumisa: “we are so happy you are back. When we heard that you were shot we were so sad and we prayed day and night for your recovery.”
Me: “thank you guys and it’s due to your prayers that I am standing here, alive and well. I just wanted to check you guys and also the plants. Hlumisa let us take a walk.” The others workers get back to work and Hlumisa and I take a walk around the plantation.
Hlumisa: “there is this business man who owns many super markets around Johannesburg so he came here because he wants us to supply our veges to him. The vegetables only.”
Me: “do we have enough to supply him?”
Hlumisa: “it is not enough but if we can extend the plantation a bit and plant more vegetables then we will be able to meet his demands.”
Me: “when does he wants us to start supplying him?”
Hlumisa: “at the beginning of March.” I breathe out loud.
Me: “Ramon is always late and usually orders less than we agreed on. How about we end our contract with him? In that way we can supply to the new client and cutting off Ramon will buy us more time for the new plants to grow. Plus his business is not doing well.”
Hlumisa: “I hear you sisi and I will do as you say.”
Me: “or just tell him we are suspending his contract and we will continue supplying him in May. That will buy us more time to plant and grow more veges. And before I forget, on that day I was shot a florist approached me and asked if we can supply flowers to her. I had to remind her that flowers take more time than fruits and veges and she said she doesn’t have a problem with that. I will forward you her number soon.”
Hlumisa: “that’s so cool. We have always wanted to grow flowers it’s just that we didn’t want to waste space for something that won’t sell.” I nod.
Me: “I also want you to organize a market day where we will be selling the fruits and veges. This day will earn us more publicity and more clients. I really want this farm to grow.”
Hlumisa: “okay. I will do the planning and get back to you so that we can set the actual date and the venue.” I nod.
Me: “see you later.” I turn and head back to the house. I find mom in the patio and I join her. She is drinking tea and eating scones which I am pretty sure she baked herself. “You are still thinking about what Ntokozo said?”
Mom: “I can’t get it out of my mind. I love him with all my heart but I have accepted that he will never come back. I am happy that he finally let me go and now I am ready to let him go and move on with my life.”
Me: “talking about moving on, it would be good for you and us if you move in here permanently.” Her eyes pop out.
Mom: “hhay baby, this is your house. You also deserve some freedom and distance from us. The fact that we live in another province doesn’t change anything. If you really want to see more of us we will always come here every holidays but not move in with you.”
Me: “but mom…”
Mom: “kahle princess. Nam ngifuna ukujola kahle nge peace. Imagine sengingenisa nje kwakho?” I laugh at her and she also laughs. “I hope you understand.”
Me: “I do and thank you for being here for me.”
Mom: “you are my child. It is my duty to be always here for you. You don’t owe me a thank you sthandwa sami.” I wrap my arms around her shoulders.
Me: “I love you mama.”
Mom: “I love you to my baby.” She plants a soft kiss on my forehead. My Earth God.