CHAPTER 33

LUVUYO
I am laying on the bed in Sizwe’s guest bedroom. I must say he has a nice crib. I am thinking about my family. Seeing Lwandeka with her family made me think about them. We might not see eye to eye but I will need them so that they can negotiate for me and be there for me in the traditional ceremonies. I may hate them but I am a very traditional man so I know that a traditional wedding will have to take place in Barkly West. I will need their support.

My father was a proud Zulu man so he practiced Zulu customs and instilled them in us. My mother was Xhosa hence the name Luvuyo, she was the one who named me. We grew up in an Afrikaans environment and our schools Afrikaans was the Home Language hence us speaking it. We born and raised there. Most Sthole family members live there, even our grandparents lived there but they had a home in PMB where our father grew up at. I left my parents’ house to look for a job and study in JHB, when I left Uncle and his wife were staying there so I wonder who stays there now and how it is. Maybe it’s time we got back. I was still in my thoughts I didn’t hear Thandeka getting in and laying besides me.

Her: “wat dink jy? (What are you thinking about?)”
Me: “tuis, tuis soos in Barkly West. Wie dink jy bly nou daar en dink jy is die huis nog in ‘n goeie toestand? (Home, home as in Barkly West. Who do you think stays there now and do you think the house is still in a good condition?”
Her: “uncle’s wife and her two kids stay there. Last time I checked the house wasn’t in a good condition. Why the sudden interest?”
Me: “that is our childhood home and we shouldn’t have abandoned it. And I was thinking of my future with Lwandeka. At some point we will have to go back there.”
Her: “as much as they were many good memories there for me, the bad memories suppresses them. If we were to go back we would demolish the house and build a new one in the same place.” We never really talked about uncle Skhumba raping her. I didn’t want her to relive that past ordeal but I can see that she hasn’t healed.
Me: “sound like a solution. So where would uncle’s wife go?”
Her: “I don’t know and I don’t care.”
Me: “you know that I am here for you if you wanna talk or release that anger inside you.”
Her: “yeah I know.”
Me: “okay we will go next month then.” She didn’t say anything and I also kept quiet. We just laid in bed and let comfortable silence stretch throughout the room. She finally spoke.
Her: “I am happy for you and I know for sure that you guys will treat each other good and respect each other. I love you big bro.”
Me: “I love you too lil sis.” She cuddled me and I kissed her forehead.

LWANDEKA
It was already morning and uncle Bongani said the elders will come and speak about the cleansing ceremony, from both families. I woke up, took a shower, got dressed and went to the kitchen. I found mom drinking coffee and Londeka preparing breakfast. I greeted them and sat down on the bar stool.

Me: “great you are all here. Mom we need to talk.” She looked at me suspiciously.
Her: “what have I done?”
Me: “nothing, it’s just that… Londeka has something to say.” Her eyes travelled from me to Londeka. She gave her the ‘talk’ look.
Londy: “mom, I wanna study Events Planning and Management in Sandton. As you saw the job I did at your party I wanna do it for the rest of my life. I hate teaching mama. Please allow me to do this. I am begging you mom.”
Mom: “why are you begging this much? Who said I will deny you if you ask nicely? I saw your work and I have no problem in you pursuing a career in that.”
Me: “just like that?”
Mom: “just like how?”
Me: “you let her off the hook. No ultimatums. No tantrums. Wow mom.”
Mom: “you are a deputy parent. You are bound to receive tough love. Live with it.” Londeka laughs.

I tell mom what went down in the kitchen yesterday to prepare her for what might happen today. She finishes breakfast and we all eat including the twins. The elders arrives and we all sit at the lounge. Londeka serves them refreshments. From the Mnguni family it is Babomdala; Sizwe’s dad Muziwokuthula and aunt Thembelihle. From the Ndlovu family it is uncle Bongani, uncle Nsika and Ncane Lindiwe Sizwe’s mom.