CHAPTER 62

PART 3 OF THE TRADITIONAL WEDDING

Nolby: “now we would like to call umkhongi.” Soma comes once again and takes his gifts. They don’t hit him but I am definitely sure they will hit my bae.

Thandeka: “our bride and groom can’t sleep on the floor. Guys please bring the bed for her.” I giggle. The guys bring a brand new bed. Thandeka is full of surprises. “You guys can carry on now.” His brother just chuckles shaking his head.

Londy: “can our groom come forward and lie on this bed provided for him and his queen?” bae smiles and comes to lie on the bed. I stand up and make my way to him. I start singing.
Me: “owami, owami, owami u Jobe.” They sing after me and he just blushes. I kiss his cheek and most people say ncooh. 

I take the basin which is full off his new cosmetics. According to culture I must show that I will be able to take care of him, bath him when necessary. So I take the towel and the soap, it’s wrapped up so I don’t unwrap it. I pretend to apply soap in the towel and start acting like I am washing. He whispers that I mustn’t forget to wash Jobe Jr. and I just laugh. I finish with the hygiene process and signal Londy to pass me his suit. I take it out of his cover and help him wear the coat.

Me: “this suit has terms and conditions.” He chuckles. “You will only wear it when you are finally a father.”
Him: “and when will be that?” I shrug.
Me: “it’s up to you.”

I fold the suit nicely and take the pillow and the comforter. I lay his head carefully in the pillow and cover his face and whole body with the comforter. The gang doesn’t waste time. They immediately attack him with sticks, Nolby is even carrying a broom stick, don’t know where she got it. He jumps out of the bed and runs towards his family. We all laugh at him. The ceremony comes to an end.

The food is served once again and we move to the frame tent. A few family elders talk, the Mngunis warning Vuyo and telling him to treat me good or else all hell will break loose. The Stholes are welcoming me to the family and Vuyo’s aunt seems nice. She gets all emotional wishing that her sister, Vuyo’s mother, was actually here to witness his son getting married. The speeches come to an end and people go outside to take pictures and just socialize. I see Nolby’s parents standing next to an SUV. I tell Vuyo that I am going to greet them, he nods while talking to Soma. I walk up to then and the king hugs me first.

King: “how are you my daughter?”
Me: “I am fine baba. I am so glad that you could make it.”
King: “we have other commitments next week, so it was compulsory that we attend this wedding.” The queen hugs me and her hand slides down to my stomach. She lifts her head and look to the sky, her eyes turning all white. I don’t know if I am imagining things but the weather changes to cloudy immediately. She finally looks at me again, her eyes are now back to normal.

Queen: “you are carrying the future queen of our throne. Precious cargo. Handle with care.” I swallow hard.
Me: “what do you mean ma?” well Nolby once told me that her mom has a gift, she can see the future but she is not a sangoma like my aunt.

Queen: “don’t worry yourself about it. Her future husband is 2 years old right now. They are not arranged to marry by the ancestors because they are soul mates. Their love story has been predicted by a much higher power. They will be two of the strongest rulers of all time and together they will be undefeated.” I am shocked, I don’t wanna lie. Here I was thinking I will have a normal kid who I will do mother-daughter goals in the future kanti wee I am carrying a whole queen.

Me: “ma doesn’t royalty marry royalty?”
Queen: “not in their case. Too bad I won’t live to see their reign.” I frown.
Me: “what do you mean?” aunt Thembelihle comes to where we are standing.
Thembelihle: “there you are.” She notices who I am standing with. “Your Majesties.” She greets with a smile.

Queen: “makhosi.” She smiles.
Thembelihle: “now I am officially jealous of you. Your wedding is attended by the powerful royal house of the Jamas.” I roll my eyes and laugh.

Me: “come on auntie, you’re friends with the king of Swaziland. Why are you complaining?”
Thembelihle: “that one is only using my gift.” We all laugh. One of the guard come and whisper something to the King’s ear, he nods.
King: “congratulations my daughter. I hope you grow old with your husband.”

Vuyo: “well she ain’t going anywhere, even if I have to use ubheka mina ngedwa.” We all laugh. He comes and stands next to me. Thembelihle’s phone rings and she answers it while walking away.

King: “let us bless your marriage before we leave.” He and the queen join hands and they place their other hands on Vuyo and I’s shoulders. They say a silent prayer and they say amen when they are done.

Queen: “you have suffered in life, from now on the Gods are on your side and they only have happiness in store for the both of you.” We hug them. “Goodbye kids.”
Me: “bye ma.” They get to their cars and leave.
Vuyo: “you hungry?”
Me: “no but I am tired. When are these people leaving?” he laughs.
Vuyo: “they are our guests and we can’t chase them away.”

Me: “but I am not okay. I am super tired and my head hurts.”
Vuyo: “do you need something for it?” I shake my head.
Me: “please just call my mom for me.” I say in a shacking voice. He looks at me with a worried face.

Vuyo: “let’s head inside the house.” He pulls me inside the house and on the way people stop up to greet, hug and take pictures with us. I am faking a smile because I am drained. We get to the kitchen and find mom chatting with Vuyo’s ncane, aunt and Lindiwe. She stands up when she sees my face.

Mom: “is everything okay baby?” I shake my head. “You can go outside and attend your guests, I will take it from here.” she says to Vuyo. He nods.
Vuyo: “I will see you in a few minutes my love.” he kisses my cheek and heads out. Mom leads me to Vuyo’s room and I throw myself in the bed. Mom removes my heels from my feet. She sits on the edge of the bed.
Mom: “what’s up?”

Me: “I am tired, drained and sleepy mama. I think sleeping for 3 hours also have an impact in my fatigue plus I couldn’t drink any energy drink. I am just glad I don’t have any in-laws to impress because I really need to sleep now.” I yawn and she chuckles.

Mom: “i wish I was you when I got married.” I laugh. “Now get up so that you can change.” I huff and stand up. She helps me get out of my dress. I also take off my bra and wear a navy t-shirt dress. “I will prepare something that you will eat when you wake up.” I get undercover.
Me: “lifesaver.” She chuckles.

Mom: “I will lock the door from outside and give the key to your husband. We don’t want people snooping around while you’re sleeping.”
Me: “okay ma.” She heads out, I close my eyes and drift to sleep.
.
.
.
#MyKnight