Watch Me

|Zach's POV|

I knew something was up with Rory. I could tell things had changed between her and Jonas. One day they were all over each other like a couple and the next she was distant. I swear if he did anything to hurt her, I'll kick his ass. We have two days left of school and I'm not trying to get in any more trouble with my parents. So, I'll track him down, not on school premises, I'm not that dumb. Rory may want privacy, but if she doesn't tell me what happened, I'll have to take matters into my own hands and find out myself.

Everyone moved into the house and my dad stopped me before I could take another step.

"What's going on between you and Rory?" he asked.

I shook my head.

"Nothing, just a misunderstanding."

He gave me a look and changed his stance, folding his arms.

"Zachary, do I look stupid to you?"

I shrugged.

"Verbal response."

"I didn't say you were dad. Rory and I are good. Like I said, it was a misunderstanding."

I tried to move into the house, but he stopped me once again.

"We'll go inside once you tell me exactly why you had your hands on your sister."

I sucked my teeth. Here he goes.

"Dad, why do you have to make a big deal about it? I grabbed her arm to get her attention."

"Her attention about what?"

What the hell is wrong with this man? Before I could respond, Ma came back outside. This could go one of two ways, she could get dad off my back or they'll double team me.

"What's going on?"

"I'm trying to figure out why Zach grabbed Rory. I want a peaceful family day today, no tension, no drama. These past few weeks have been filled with enough, especially last night."

"Then let this shit go," I mumbled.

Wait, did I say that out loud? I slowly looked up to see both of my parents giving me a death glare.

"Zachary, I've told you time and time again to watch your mouth," Ma said, stepping in front of dad.

"I apologize."

"Look, I don't know what's going on between you and Rory..."

"Ma.."

She held up her hand.

"I wasn't finished talking. Don't interrupt me again. As I was saying, I don't know what's going on between you two, but end it."

"All I wanted to do was make sure she was okay. She's been actin weird."

My parents gave each other a look. That confirmed that there was something going on. My gut was right.

"Your sister is fine. Keep your hands to yourself. Got it?" Ma said.

"Yes," I mumbled.

"I'm sorry, what was that?"

"Yes ma, I understand."

She smiled and kissed my cheek.

"Great. Brunch will be ready in a few."

She went back in the house and I was about to follow her, but my dad pulled me back.

"I'm warning you now son, if you act on what you think you know, there will be consequences."

He patted my shoulder and went into the house. So he knew that I had a hunch about something. All he had to do was say that from the beginning, but no, he had to be extra. I sat outside just to be left alone. I don't know how long I was out here before I heard the door swing open.