There's Always Something

|Paul's POV|

Izzy and I walked in the house to hear Steph laughing in the kitchen. I assume she was on the phone.

"I'm going to go change, I'll be back down," Izzy said, taking off upstairs.

I made my way into the kitchen to see Steph was sitting, talking on the phone, and

Yeah, they just got back. No worries. I'll call you later. Love you too mom.

She hung up and came over to me and gave me a hug and a kiss.

"Hey, how was the appointment?"

"It went well. She's been cleared to get back to dancing."

"Aww. Does that mean she won't be here for the weekend?"

"Maybe the girls and Zach can convince her to stay. I know they miss her."

"They don't have to convince me dad. I'd stay either way. I can take classes anytime," Izzy said, making her way into the kitchen.

She gave Steph a hug and slyly reached over and took a bite of her food. Yup, she's my kid.

"Izzy, I ordered food for you. It's over there. Don't eat all of mine."

"Did you order me the same thing?"

"Sure did."

"Oh, you know me so well. What'd you order for dad?" she asked, rummaging through the bag.

I walked up behind her and we played tug of war with the bag for a bit. I tickled her and she quickly let go. I took my food and handed her the bag back.

"Hey, that wasn't fair. You know I'm ticklish."

"That's the whole point kiddo."

She playfully rolled her eyes and sat down at the table and pulled out her phone. Yup, she's now into her own little world. She's more attached to that thing now than she's ever been.

"Izzy?" Steph said, trying to get her attention.

Yup, she was still zoned out.

"Izzy!"

"Huh, yeah?"

"You're really preoccupied huh?"

"Just catching up with my friends and texting Jamie."

"Tell Jamie we said to call us more often," I said, taking a bite of my food.

Jamie went off to Texas and forgot all about us. Okay, not really. I text her every day and Mark always lets us know how she's doing. She goes to his place every other weekend just about. I'm glad she's building a bond with him. He says she's opened up a lot about her parents death. I know it's hard to deal with. I couldn't imagine losing both my parents at the same time. I'm happy she found someone to talk to.

"Jamie said call her first."

Not surprised that was her smart ass answer.

"How's school going now that you're in your second semester?" Steph asked.

"It's fine. I mean, still high school drama. You'd think they'd be more mature. The people I met are cool. I just can't wait for Spring break in a couple of weeks."

"Oh, since you mentioned that, what about a family vacay?"

"Mom. It's our first Spring break."

"Oh, ok."

Steph and I had talked about the girls possibly coming with us on vacation. There was always the Summertime. I knew she was a little disappointed.

"We have the Summer though. Whatever week you choose, I'll make sure I don't have anything going on. So will Jamie."