Mood Change

|Stephanie's POV|

It's rare that Paul and I leave the office at the same time. Today was one of those days. I cherished moments like this, just the two of us. Even with hectic schedules, we've made our relationship a priority. The stronger we are, the stronger we can be for our kids.

We arrived home to see Izzy pulling up in Paul's Jeep. She's pretty much taken the car over. He told her as long as she takes care of it, she's free to drive it. We all got out of the car at the same time. Izzy and Jamie said hello to us. Aurora went inside saying nothing. Something was up.

"What's going on?" Paul asked.

"I guess she's tired," Izzy said, shrugging.

I gave her a look.

"Isabella..."

"Mom, it's not my place to say anything that's wrong with Aurora. That's her story to tell if she chooses to."

She and Jamie went inside. I turned to Paul.

"Do you know where she was after school today?"

"I heard her say something about a project."

"You believe that?"

"We both know Aurora has been doing a lot that we don't know about."

"I just don't understand why she can't be upfront about it."

"Be upfront about it? You want her to say, 'Hey mom and dad. I'm hanging out after school with a boy. Alone.' You know damn well I'm not going for that."

"Well..."

"No Stephanie. There's a lot that I compromise on. I can't stop her completely from being around guys, I get that. I'm not comfortable with my 14 year old daughter being alone with a boy."

He kissed my forehead and headed into the house. I followed. He went towards the kitchen and I went to find my other children. I found Murphy and Vaughn in the den watching TV with Zach.

"Hey you three."

"Hey," they replied, not once taking their eyes off the TV.

No surprise there. I went and got started on dinner. Within an hour or so I was finished and telling the kids to come eat. I always made extras for leftovers, plus Zach just ate a lot. Having a teenage son in the house, our grocery bill has changed drastically. He eats all the time, but his body sure doesn't show it.

"Guys, foods ready!"

Silence. I went to the stairs and yelled dinner was ready. The kids started to come down.

"Zach, set the table please."

"Ma..."

"Did I stutter in what I just asked you to do?"

"No."

He stood there staring at me. I gave him a look and he went to do what I said. Why must it always be a struggle with these kids? Paul came down as I was about to head back into the kitchen.

"Dinner ready?" he asked.

"Didn't you just hear me say that?"

He smirked at me and pulled me into his arms.

"I was just messing with you."

"I get enough of that from the kids. Where's Rory?"

"More and likely still in her room. You want me to..."

"No, I'll handle it. Make sure Zach set the table."

He kissed me and I went upstairs. I knocked on her door and she quietly said come in. As I entered I saw her laying down.