Family Affair

|Zach's POV|

My dad has been kicking my ass for the past 24 hours. If it's not a workout, ma has me cleaning something around the house. Every time I have tried to take a nap, they find me and give me something else to do. Thankfully Izzy is here to keep me occupied in my "downtime."  She's heading back to Cali tomorrow tonight, so I'll be solo dolo with this physical labor.

I currently have a "break." After my morning workout with dad, I came up to take a hot shower and get dressed for the day. I took as long as I possibly could to get ready. I was laying on my bed, staring at the wall, when I heard a knock on my door.

"Come in," I said sitting up.

The door opened and there was Izzy with a smirk on her face.

"Relax, it's just me."

She closed the door and came and sat on my bed. I laid back down.

"What's up?"

"I'm hiding."

She started laughing. I didn't see anything funny.

"They're kicking your ass huh?"

"I would have rather him kicked my ass than to be killing me in the gym. Plus, ma keeps finding random things for me to clean. "

"Yeah, I should've told you dad loves his alternative disciplining. See with a spanking, it's a one and done. Yeah, you're still grounded, but it's not as bad. When Jamie and I got suspended, he sent us to stay with Uncle Mark. Talk about a week from hell."

"What'd he have y'all doing?"

"I was with Michelle helping her with marketing for their sports team. Jamie was at the bike shop with Uncle Mark and Gunner. I'd rather had been in school for a week. Mimi had me studying the previous campaigns and had me come up with 5 examples of what they could do better. Jamie was fixing bikes and would always come home super greasy and take hour long showers to rinse it all of. We were exhausted and couldn't wait to get back home."

"Well at least you guys learned something."

"You're with dad for the week you're suspended right?"

"Unfortunately yes. I asked if I could stay with grandma and grandpa all week. He laughed at me and walked away."

There she goes laughing again. None of this is funny.

"Well, you'll learn something the week you're suspended too."

Yeah, I bet.

"Zach! Come downstairs please."

"Welp, they've found something for you to do."

"What time is it? It's too early for all this."

She looked at her phone.

"It's almost 11."

She pulled my arm and helped me off the bed. Ma was always so polite when she summoned us to do something. That was until she had to call our names a second time. Don't let her get to a third. Pleasantries are out the window. Izzy went to her room and I went downstairs to see we had company. My grandparents were here. Why are they here so early?

"Zach, sweetie. It's so good to see you," my grandma said.

Her arms were open awaiting a hug. I happily obliged.

"Hi grandma."

I then turned to my grandfather and he pulled me in for a hug as well.

"We'll talk later," he whispered into my ear.