20

They were landing at new Beijing palace. Cinder was waiting in the podship dock with everyone. She had claimed the spot next to Kai. He looked so peaceful while he slept. A huge jolt told her they had arrived. What were they going to think when they brought Kai out in this. She was about to find out. The podship dock started to open. She picked up one side of the tank and Wolf grabbed the other. They started shuffling to the exit that was now almost fully open. Torin, some other officials and two guards were there to meet them. 

"Where's..." Torin started as they went down the ramp and set kai down. Recognition filled his face. He rushed over.

"What happened." Torin asked. 

"They." Her voice hiccuped. "They installed a device into his neck. He was in so much pain." Her headache returned. "But there was nothing we could do." She heard a sob behind her. Looking back Scarlet was in complete tears while Torin just stayed staring at Kai with a hand on the glass. A tear slipped down his cheek to. He wiped it away.

"Someone bring him to a doctor immediately." Torin said.

"Of course." One of the officials said. She had forgotten about them. The two guards came and took him away. 

"After that video I assigned a team to look into what could have caused that but I don't think they got to far." Torin said. "I'll take you guys to your rooms." The last place she wanted to be was the room her and Kai shared. 

"You guys go, I'm going to go to over to the medical wing." They all seemed to understand. She walked in the opposite direction. She had found comfort being in that room when he was kidnaped but the fact that he was here in the place with her somehow made her never want to go in there again. She wouldn't if she could help it. The doctor would get him back on his feet soon though. She knew it. There was a lot of people waiting for the elevator. She just now realized she had no idea what floor they were taking him to. She went to pull up is ID but a big error sign popped up instead. She used the other ID. Walter something and found him on the floor above her. She walked up to the android and told it the floor number.

"Elevator A for Selene Blackburn." The android announced. It was oddly nice to have no title. She walked in. She had used these elevators a million times but for some reason this time it reminded her of the first time she and Kai had been in an elevator. He had asked her to the ball and almost kissed her. A sob echoed around her. It was years ago but she could still remember it like yesterday. Probably because of her cyborg brain. The doors opened and she got out quick leaving the memories behind. 

She pulled up the blueprints with his new ID. It was close. She started to walk to Dr. Hubbard's office. What she really wanted to do was run but she also didn't want to raise any more suspicion. They had all probably seen Kai already. Rumors would be going around. She approached the door and knocked before entering. A man in his forty's was there along with Kai.

"Dr. Hubbard?" She asked.

"I'm afraid I'm a bit busy right now. What do you nee...  d." She saw recognition flood his face before it turned bright red. 

"Miss.Blackburn." Normally she would say a line similar to please call me cinder but at the moment she didn't care.

"Can you help him?" 

"I was just about move him onto a bed so I could check him out." 

"Oh, no no no no no. You can't!" He seemed confused.

"It's standard procedure so that I give him a proper diagnosis."

"His captors put some sort of device in his neck. If you take him out he will be in a lot of pain. Worse then the video."