I. For the Next Millennium

Southern France, 1002 A.D.

"In the beginning, we were so naïve. Our mother had made us into beasts that fed on blood. But immortality was beyond our grasp. Compulsion a trick we had yet to learn. All we knew was a fear of being hunted. That and a terrible hunger. So we ran. As a family. And when we needed to as a family we fed."

"Kol, are you quite done?" Elijah asked his younger brother. Night had fallen over Southern France and the Mikaelson siblings took to feeding on a carriage full of humans.

Kol sighed out in annoyance from his place on the ground. He shoved the dead body he had been feeding on and looked to his brother. "Oh bother, Elijah, is this all truly necessary?"

"Brother, the road is a major thoroughfare. If the bodies are found, word of our presence will spread to Mikael," The noble brother tried to reason.

Juliette Mikaelson rolled her eyes at her older brother as the human in her arms finally died. She tossed the body to the ground with no remorse and moved over to stand next to her sister, Rebekah. "I am tired of having that sorry of an excuse we call father chasing us."

"We have run through autumn and winter, through sleet and snow. Are we cursed to forever live in fear of our father?" Rebekah asked her brothers agreeing with her older sister.

The oldest Mikaelson finally spoke up. "I should say yes, sadly."

"Finn, please. Niklaus," Elijah tried to step in before a fight could start between the siblings.

"Do we have any idea where we are running to next?" Rebekah asked exasperatedly.

Kol spread his arms out as he faced the rest of his siblings with annoyance clear on his face. "Why not just do what we've all thought of doing? Split up."

Klaus walked over to stand next to Juliette, blood dripping down his chin. "We swore a vow."

"Your vows haunt me more than father himself," Kol yelled.

"Kol, calm down," Juliette looked at her youngest brother. Kol only responded with a glare toward his older sister.

"At least he can't chase us all. I say we take our chances," Kol continued after ignoring Juliette's pleas.

Finn, shockingly, agreed with Kol which made Juliette once again roll her eyes. "Thank you, Finn," Kol glanced over at him. "Yeah, I've always said eldest is the most intelligent."

"Stop talking. I take no joy in our assent but I do wish to sleep in a bed," Finn voiced his wishes. "To bathe in a bath, to feed of proper food. If we divide," Finn continued but was cut off by Elijah.

"No, brother. Niklaus is right. We made a vow. Family above all. Always. Forever."

****

Present Day

My dear Rebekah, I hope this finds you well. I write to offer an update and ask your advice. Our brothers and sister remain at odds. Klaus will never apologize, not for the blood he's shed, nor the suffering Hayley continues to endure. And Elijah and Juliette cannot forgive him. Despite my efforts, we are a house divided.