III. I'll See You in Hell or New Orleans

Court of Marseilles, 1002 A.D.

"My memory of Lucien goes back to a time when our family was happy. Things were good, or as good as they can be for vampires hiding in plain sight. Everyone in Marseilles was held in the thrill of the Count's arrogant sons, Tristan and Simon, and their sister, the Lady Aurora.

In hindsight, I could have done more to prevent what was to follow. But then, even an endless life cannot be played in reverse."

Lucien walked over to Klaus as he was sat whittling a small object. "It's impressive work, Milord."

"It's a trifle, meant to pass a dull day. But I'll take it, along with the word of a friend," Klaus looked up at the human.

Lucien nervously pulled out a folded up and worn piece of paper. "It is as a friend that I come to you now. There is something I must ask of you. For the Lady Juliette. If you would deliver this to your sister in secret, I would be eternally grateful."

"Are these declarations of love that you have for my little sister? It's a bold move," Klaus muttered before taking a sip from his goblet.

"If she would leave this place with me-," Lucien started but was interrupted by Klaus standing up with anger.

Klaus wouldn't lose his little sister, he couldn't. "Not an idea I would advise. Besides, my family needs you."

Lucien scoffed a little. "Your family staying here cannot last much longer, anyhow, not given your brother Kol's decadence," the human tried to word nicely. "The local villagers believe they are beset by demons. Soon, you'll need to run. Juliette and I can run with you. I can aid you in your endeavors. Niklaus, please."

Lucien held up the crumbled note in between the two. "I would give her the note myself, but Simon's jealousy is tyrannical, I cannot go near her. But you? You need not fear him or anyone because she's your sister.

Klaus reluctantly took the note Lucien had written for his sister and smirked down at Lucien.

"Hoping to dissuade Lucien, I told him my sister, Juliette, would not accept his note. I thought the matter settled. How could I tell him that Juliette wouldn't fall for a human? But Lucien was a hopeless romantic. In his desperation, he waited in the gardens for her."

Klaus stood by a fireplace with the note that his friend Lucien wrote to his sister. Without a sign of guilt, he tossed it into the fire. The flames enveloped the paper and making it turn to ash. "I trusted you!"

Klaus whipped around to find Lucien with anger and hurt on his face.

Simon de Martel strutted into the room with plenty of guards. "You," he spoke while looking down at Lucien. He looked to the guards. "Take him."

"And given the circumstance, Lucien qualifies as both friend and foe."

****

Present Day

Cami and Vincent sat across from Lucien at the NOLA police precinct.

"What I am is a ruthless, vicious, unstoppable killer," Lucien spat to the human and the witch. "Which is not to say I had anything to do with this. Far from it."