Kabanata 14

Forest's POV

"Welcome home, runaway."

Wiping the sweat on my forehead, I disregarded her sardonic tone and proceeded to the kitchen. I know the moment I acknowledge her, we'll just end up in another pointless argument, and that's the last thing I need. Not now, not tonight.

"Feigning ignorance, aren't we?"

I quietly shook my head. I don't trust myself at this moment, baka hindi ko siya matantiya.

She scoffed at my back. Sumunod pala siya hanggang sa salas. "After mong umalis nang walang pasabi, you'll give me a cold shoulder? I was right, we should've locked you in your room. Para kang bata, you can't even comprehend a simple instruction. Have a stupid rest, the doctor said, pero hindi ka makaintidi't tumakas ka pa."

I took a deep breath in frustration and faced her. As if worrying them to death wasn't enough, I pushed it further to her limits. "Bukas mo na akong pagsabihan, pwede? I'm tired."

Her eyes hardened, clenching her jaw. "We spent hours searching for your pathetic ass, Sage. I tried calling you, only to realize you fucking left your phone on the hospital bed. Bumili lang ako ng pagkain and the second I return, you were gone! I, at least, deserve an explanation, don't you think?"

"How many times do I have to repeat myself? Pagod ako, Scarlett." Pagdidiin ko. 

I wasn't just physically tired. My sanity was already tested the second I opened my eyes earlier. Hindi ko alam kung manhid ba siya o nananadya but I need her to give me a damn break.

The knit between her brows deepened. "You still haven't moved on," she pressed, sounding confident and disgusted altogether.

Rolling my eyes in annoyance, I veered away from her incessant nagging. She never gets sick of it, doesn't she? Kasi ako, I'm fed up already and at any rate, baka makalabit niya na 'yung dulo ng pasensya ko.

"Hindi mo pa rin ba maalis sa sistema mo 'yung mang-iiwan na 'yon? Come on, Forest. You look so pathetic, stop moping around! Hindi ka na bata!"

Something flicked within me. Bago mapigilan ang sarili ko, my hands went straight to her collar. 

"Diyan ka talaga magaling, 'no? Hitting one's weakness and gaslighting them to get over it, na parang ginusto nilang mangyari 'yon, as if it was their fault! Huwag kang umarteng may alam ka, Scarlett. Kasi noong mga oras na kailangan ko kayo, you were busy talking to your fucking plants!"

She snickered, lips curling into a sneer. "Don't involve my plants here. Kasalanan ko bang bulag ka? We were there, we have always been. Ikaw lang naman 'yung hilig magpaka-martir, anong sunod, maging sadista?"